Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
LiveFreeNH
Forum Associate

Member Info

I was using 17g. 700X powder, 1 1/8 oz load in Win AA hulls. It's certainly not impossible that there was a double charge - I'm new to reloading shot shells (have reloaded pistol and rifle for many years) but I'm pretty meticulous. So, no real way of knowing, and I'm pretty nervous about shooting any more of my own loads. Think I'm going to shoot my Benelli SBE for a while, it will digest just about anything.

I [I]am very[I] grateful that my eyes, face and hands were all unscathed - money is just money - but sad that the gun was so damaged. Also very grateful to the kind contributors here, and to my mates at my gun club. They all stopped shooting and helped me find all but two small pieces of the stock (some of which were 30' away from station one), which Brian Dudley says he can repair. I'll post back pictures of the restored gun. Thanks to you all.
Rob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Wright For Your Post:
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #22
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rob,

What kind of reloader are you using? I use a Mec Grabber. I can not think of a way I could even get a double load of powder. I think the primer is at fault rather than your load. I would steer clear of those primers. You are very lucky you were not severely hurt. Apparently others have had problems with those primers.
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #23
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

The issue with Cheddite primers seems to be centered on two areas: Thickness of the metal in the actual cap, and our application of these primers to classic guns. i.e.:

The cap metal is thinner than any other primer I've tried.

The guns that we shoot are old and equipped with firing pins that are the proper length and tip shape for ammunition that is no longer made. This old ammo had primers seated deeper than today's cartridges, hence a longer protrusion was necessary. Also, some older firing pin tips are more conical than rounded.

Add all of this together and you get a "draw" on the cap that it cannot withstand. It will often pierce. Especially under pressure.

Cheddites might be fine in your Remington 1100 or K-80. They are not so good in a Parker hammer gun.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

John,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell us which factory shells probably have these primers?

The thin metal in the cheap cheddite primer is probably the culprit. I have never had this happen with a Win or CCI primer. Rob has shown that a pierced primer can result in disaster. With the extreme rise in the cost of shot and powder I am reloading less and buying factory shells more. I would not want to take a chance with these primers in even an 1100. Only a small splinter of a stock can take out an eye.
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Richard:
I really can't tell you which makers may use Cheddite. I do know they are made in France.

With that knowledge, and the fact that Fiocchi and Nobel primers are made in Italy, I would feel reasonably safe in assuming (always a risky thing) that Italian-made cartridges are made with Italian primers.

I have not had any pierced primers with either Fiocchi or Nobel brands personally.

And... if you surf some of the other shotgun boards, you'll find the Cheddite pierced primer syndrome is not uncommon.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #26
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been using Cheddites for 2 or 3 years. At one time I was loading 30 to 40 boxes a week for myself, wife, daughter, and granddaughter using Cheddites. The only time I noticed a pierced primer is with my Parker hammer gun, and only the right barrel. The two Lifters never did it, three Remington hammer guns don't, two Parker hammerless don't, and three Remington hammerless don't. None of the modern shotguns the wife or daughters don't. For this reason I'm lead to believe it's more of a firing pin problem. I suppose you could get a double charge if something was blocking the the drop tube. I had a primer stuck in a Mec drop tube. Must have been a loose one in a empty shell. Wonder why your shell base was bigger than others? I would think that's a sign of too much pressure.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #27
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

LiveFreeNH,

That is a shame and the gun looks absolutely beautiful except for the damage. Perhaps the wood can be made right again. One major concern I have is, how are YOU. If you are right handed that was pretty darn close. Are you OK?

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

It's my impression from reading up on the RIO company that they make their own primers. I know I buy Rio primers to reload my Rio hulls.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #29
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

I have to agree with Paul. I've loaded and shot close to 10k Cheddite primers in all my Parkers, hammerless and hammer and in all gauges and really can't remember one pierced primer. Maybe I was just lucky. I also got 10k or so for Ed Blake so maybe he can chime in with his experience with Cheddites.
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #30
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

I can't ever recall a pierced primer, I use primarily Federal 209a's, and a few Remington 209's. I bought a few RST's and noticed a few pierced primers but I don't remember if it was on a hammerless or hammer gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote