Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

2 1/2 inch 12 Gauge Documented Loads Only
Unread 04-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 2 1/2 inch 12 Gauge Documented Loads Only

Gentlemen and Ladies if any are on here. After lurking in every dark and unsavory place on the internet (lol) searching for 2 1/2- 12gauge lp loads. And after speaking to several powder manufacturers trying to get them to develop loads for our vintage guns. I was told no way would it ever happen. I told one powder manufacturer does he know how many people shoot vintage guns, He replied 3. lol He wasn't buying it. None the less when there is love involved, there is a way. As I think we all have a fondness of our old guns. I am starting this thread for published 2 1/2 12 Gauge loads only.
Please list and loads you may have, that have been tested only. With all the stats. I know a lot of you guys that have years of experience with reloading can concoct a load and know pretty much where its going to fall. But so that there will be a list of published loads for the guns we love, please chime in with tested loads only, the stats and most of all who did the testing.

2 1/2 Cheddite hull, Cheddite primer
16.0 gr. American Select powder
Precision reloading part # TUWG2512 wad
7/8 OZ. Lead shot
1165 fps. and 6110 psi.
Be sure to keep the crimp depth at .050 to .055 as the pressures increase after that.

2 1/2 Cheddite hull , Cheddite primer
15 gr. 700x powder
Precision reloading part # TUWG2512 wad
7/8 lead shot
1160 fps. and 6160 psi.
Be sure to keep the crimp depth at .050 to .055 as the pressures increase after that.

Gentlemen please list documented loads so that we can all enjoy the nostalgia of pulling out one of these fine old guns out at the range or for a morning hunt. If these loads were more accessible more people may join us.
See you in the field.
Developed by Keith at Precision Reloading, Great Guy and very reasonable pricing.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Commercially loaded 2 1/2 inch 12 ga are available from RST, B&P and I believe Polywad as well. RST also loads 16,20,28 and 410 in 2/1/2 inch length and a 2 inch 12.

It's a nich market and I doubt Winchester, Remington or Federal will ever do it hence the success of RST.
Unread 04-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks C O B. Thanks For the info. I agree for commercial loads RST shells are sweet. I love them and for anyone that doesn't shoot much I highly recommend them. But if you are wanting to shoot several rounds a week it is a bit pricey. As for pollywad I don't know. Also holland and holland make a fine round sold at classic shooting I think it is.
Unread 04-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

the Pollywad Vintager is a 2 1/2 low pressure load -

i have had a few cases - used them for clays and hunting - no complaints

they just seems to be harder to find, I can get the RST at any SxS shoot
Unread 04-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
Mark Garrett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hodgdon site has some 2 1/2" 12ga loads listed this is the lowest pressure of all of them Remington hull cut to 2 1/2' Win. 209 WAA12R Universal 20.8 1oz lead 7,300 PSI 1,180 , if that helps .

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
Mark Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Mark for the info. It will help someone I'm sure. I certainly hope this thread doesn't take away from any of the commercial companies that load these old loads. I have only bought from classic and rst. Both have great loads and I have nothing but respect for the people I dealt with and I enjoy them very much. I started this thread because after searching the various threads reloaders a were guesstimating their loads it seems. I prefer to know exactly what the load is. Things that go bang can hurt if misused even if by accident since this form is for reloaders I thought since they reload their shells anyway why not share. Thanks Mark
Unread 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Does anyone know what "RST" stands for? Really Special Things?
Unread 04-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

i asked that a while ago - even asked them at a shoot- no one seems to know

(Morris got the name when he bought the company)

my vote was "retro shotgun technology"
Unread 04-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk, I realize you want documented loads; but any load for 2 3/4 will work in a 2 1/2" shell. If you roll crimp instead of fold crimp nothing in the way of components would have to be changed seeing how a roll crimp uses less of the shell. And a roll crimp would give you less pressure. As a side note; I've called Claybuster wads and explained I was loading low pressure shells [ 7500psi or less ] and ask if I could substitute one of their wads that had a shorter cushion height for the short shell. A CB1118 is for 1 1/8oz in a 2 3/4" Rem hull. I shorten the hull to 2 1/2 and use 7/8oz of shot using a 7/8oz shot data for a 7/8oz CB wad. He said if it were him, he'd have no worries - the pressure wouldn't hardly change. You also can go to fiber wads to get the shorter combination to fit and pressures will go down from the plastic wad. And if you're really worried about not having tested shells, send some to Precision Reloading or Tom Amhurst and have them checked. There are a number of ways to reload and not worry about having to high of pressures. JMHO
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Paul for the input. I really didn't start this thread for me as I have the 2 loads listed at the top of the thread. But I started this thread for those who in the future will be looking for these vintage loads. I spoke with IMR and Alliant Powders and both told me not to change anything on their loads ( By the way it looks like Alliant put up a new listing of their loads) or it would be done at my own risk. I understand everyone on here has a greater knowledge of reloading than me. But now that I have 2 set loads I can branch out from there like probably most with years of experience did in the beginning. Anyway I have a lot of goods things in the mail from Precision Reloading and as soon as I get back from Cabo I can begin " Getting off into it ". I plan on trying the loads at the beginning of this thread and making one with fiber wad and sending to the guys at Precision for testing. Also a 3/4 oz load. But right now I am headed to the Sea Of Cortez for some fishing and R&R.
gentlemen I will see you in the field.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post: