Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Lead shot for reloading
Unread 04-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Lead shot for reloading

Gentleman. Once again I would like to draw from the years of experience represented on this site. I am new to shotshell reloading and am loading lp 2 1/2 shells for my old 1929 Sxs. I shoot skeet to stay sharp and dove and quail during season. On the subject of lead shot. There are many different brands and types. From magnum to chilled. Nickel plated and various blends of lead and other alloys. Are any better that the other. I know a few pellets are going to spiral off in a different direction but all in all is there really a difference. Or should I just go with the cheapest I can find. Thanks for your opinion in advance. See you in the field
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Kirk:
For skeet shooting, shoot whatever you can find and afford. For birds afield, it's a bit better to use "magnum" or hard shot. Otherwise, it's all mind games...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Kensal for the info. So I guess the harder shot stays more uniform and produces straighter flight. So that's what it means by magnum shot means Harder??? Is chilled shot hard or soft???
Unread 04-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

You're getting it. "Magnum" shot has more antimony content, hence it is harder. That keeps it more spherical. It also aids penetration on game. Chilled shot is plain "dropped" shot. Standard hardness. Which has broken zillions of targets and taken zillions of game birds as well. This is one reason why the mind games exist...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

chilled for skeet

harder shot for everything else
Unread 04-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the info Kensal and OH. Just curious is one brand better than the others or all the all about the same or are there any brands I want to steer clear of? Also does anyone know if harder magnum shot would lead the barrel less with fiber wads??

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 04-01-2016 at 04:09 PM..
Unread 04-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Thanks for the info Kensal and OH. Just curious is one brand better than the others or all the all about the same or are there any brands I want to steer clear of? Also does anyone know if harder magnum shot would lead the barrel less with fiber wads??

i have not seen the antimony content listed on bags- Lawrence shot seems to be an old standard brand, but I would bet the content is similar between brands

as for the leading - good question - just a guess - ripping down a steel tube and 1200 FPS - i doubt the small percentage of antimony will make a significant difference in scrubbing
Unread 04-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
Kirk, For the last three years I have been ordering reclaimed shot from Rotometals.com. I upgrade my order to the washed and regraphited. I shoot sporting clays twice a week and would not want to live on the difference between the reclaimed and magnum shot. For bird hunting, yes the magnum is the best.

Tom
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Tom thanks for the input on reclaimed shot. I saw it on a couple of sites and wondered about it. I'm all for being green. I may try some for clays. Seems the general rule is magnum for hunting Thanks again
Unread 04-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,369 Posts

Pattern your gun at 40 yards in a 30" circle and see how the loads are performing. Chilled lead may work just fine even at long range. Most of the old doubles were choked for loads without a shot cup and may be shooting great using chilled shot.

Again until you pattern your gun and load you are just guessing if something is better or if something else is good enough.