Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #11
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks J A. I saved it to my phone. I will take a look at it tomorrow.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #12
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys. My mind is made up. Ucb will be on my press. Can anyone let me know a good brand of lead shot. I shoot 2 1/2 12 gauge lp shells there is magnum, chilled all kinds. I shoot skeet and dove and quail. And suggestions on where to start
Unread 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'm a UCB guy all the way. I have one on each of my 5 presses. The only complaint I have is that they seem to spill powder as they slide under the feed bottle. I've tried the rubber and brass washers and the metal and plastic feed necks and I'm still constantly sweeping up powder. Seems none of them work well. I may experiment with mounting one in a large baking sheet with the front removed just so I can more easily sweep the spilled powder up. I've tried everything but filing the bar top flat, which I've seen suggested somewhere. For now I just keep the table clean and use a 2.5" paint brush to sweep up the spilled powder. I find the UCB to throw very consistent charges. The tables that come with the UCB should be considered a starting point and pay attention to which way they tell you to be turning the knobs as you adjust the powder and shot charges.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

My PW 800+ is mounted on a cookie sheet. Sure helps control any spilled shot, too.
Unread 04-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

You won't " see " the set screws unless it's in front of you. They're small allen headless screws - or set screws. They're recessed in the bar.
Unread 04-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

I use a Universal Charge Bar and I love it. I'm always reloading different things and it's nice to be able to do all kinds of different loads with just one charge bar and not have to worry about having the right bushings. It's the only way to go in my book.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chilled shot is used for close in shooting - it's a little softer than Magnum shot. If you're worried about patterns or shooting be on 25 yds, use the magnum shot. Price difference isn't that much - I just use the magnum for everything.
Unread 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Paul
Unread 04-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #19
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentlemen. I just thought of this. When you say your powder charge varies. on my reloading of 45acp using a Dillon powder measure. I ran a ground wire to my press to eliminate static electricity. My press is bolted to my bench by the garage door. So I ran a wire from the mounting bolt out the door to a piece of rebar driven down into a flowerbed. It may seem like a lot but I can throw 5.1 gr. Of tite group all day long day after day with no variation. The owner of master cast told me to try it. It worked for me. See you in the field

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 04-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Add
Unread 06-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentlemen... I opted to get the universal charge bar and it seems to throw all over the place.....I make my final adjustment counter clockwise just like the instructions say to do but it doesn't repeat very well. I Am wondering if its because of the banging around sliding it back and forth. Any suggestions some one might have.... I even have a ground wire to my press to eliminate static electricity. Its connected to a piece of rebar driven in the grown in a flowerbed just outside the garage door. But no luck. I Am throwing 700x 15 grains, If any one has any suggestions i'm all ears.
On another note... I just sent 5 different loads out for ballistic testing. I had to check each shell individually as I dont trust the bar. Sometimes its a whole grain or more off.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
See you in the field.