Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Why reload ?
Unread 03-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Why reload ?

There's a couple of reasons. It's fun. I can make better shells than cheap factory ammo. And it's cheaper. I run the shotgun venue at my club and the wife and I shoot three times a week. At one time a few years back my daughter and granddaughter also shot and I was reloading about 30 boxes of shells a week. Now I'm down to under 20 a week. The wife and I at times shoot a 28ga and I also shoot a couple of 10 bores. Normally it's 12ga. A lot can be saved with the 10 or 28. That, and 2 7/8 10ga shells aren't made. At times I'll load up a box or two of 2, 2 1/4, or 2 1/2" shells with fiber wads and a roll crimp. Those short ones with a roll crimp look cool. Plus, I hate recoil. 12ga 3/4oz and 10ga 1oz loads are fun to shoot. I also like to make black powder shells for the 12 and 10. At times I slip a BP shell in a friends shell pocket when shooting SCs and watch the look on their face when they shoot it. No one " borrows " a shell from me anymore if they're short a shell. I also keep a number of nitro and BP hunting loads on the shelf. I even found a 40 cal barrel rifle liner for my 1882 Remington hammer gun - now I'm waiting to shoot a deer with it - either the 40 cal 425 grain bullet or some 10ga buckshot in the other barrel if it's real close. Anyways, I find it very satisfying to make my own of just about any load and not have to try any find it. And it's easy on the shoulder and wallet.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,429 Times in 1,647 Posts

Paul I am like you and enjoy reloading . I have reloaded bismuth for many years . 3/4 Oz 12ga loads are another favorite thanks to my good friend Daryl. My greatest reward has been reloading the short ten for targets and ducks. This year a limit of mallards with a Parker AH and my handloaded 10's was a joy I will never forget.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 03-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Count me in. Just getting started. To have the load u want is going to be great.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 03-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

I reload for all the same reasons plus i have found it a good idea to start off kids and my grand daughters with half ounce 20 ga. go to 3/4 then 7/8 without telling them and they never mention recoil. I am a fan of low recoil also and the commercial offerings do not come close. Paul did my PM reach you? I may not have done it properly.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 03-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i too reload the 8 ga the 10 ga and the 12 ga sometimes..i like yall enjoy making these shells and taking game with them..taking a deer with a ten ga or the 8 ga is is really a hoot...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

I have reloaded for decades - originally to save money so I could shoot more often

but now days - i enjoy the freedom to chose my load for different guns - and how else would I get a steady supply of 1 1/2 12ga bismuth or nice shot not to mention to feed the short tens (including an extra short British 10) either lead or non-tox

after lucking into a box of the old Alcan FBS 16ga wads - i loaded up enough of the Sherman Bell very light (4800 PSI) 1 1/8 loads to give a try at clays with a light weight short ten.

where in the world would you buy a load like that.
Unread 03-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't always look for messages - yes I got it. I think I almost enjoy making up different loads as I do shooting. The guys like 2" or 2 1/4" roll crimp shells.
Unread 03-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Another PM sent. Reloading lets you explore more options than are commercially available. Years ago a skeet shooter told me he was not crazy about skeet but loved to reload and skeet was the best way to empty the shells
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

A friend of mine says "I shoot high velocity shells, so I can miss faster"
Unread 03-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul, like you it's something I like to do. I have tailored loads to specific guns in 4 gauges, Multiple loads for some, each in a different color hull to make sure I put the right one in. New load, the collective,experience on this forum, very valuable.

Be simple to only shoot 12 G and buy factory B&Ps . But a lot less fun.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote