Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

16 G Cheddite problems
Unread 10-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16 G Cheddite problems

Double posting this , over on the 16 G site too.

Been shooting up a flat of Herters 1 oz 16’s in my new Parker Trojan. Work fine bit more than needed for target work though. Getting all the components together to load 16 low pressure. Some problems though. Tooling for my PW 375 is the new style Taper crimp die, the short one does not come up to the laoded case mouth

No matter how I set the final crimp on the once fired Herters it collapses the hull Also have some fresh Cheddites unfired they do the same thing.

I turned a hull filler out of wood. It fills the case same as the load. Supported inside the Herters shell crimps fine. So my problem may be more wad than sizer.
No DR16’s, the 16 G Forum recommended wad available bought some SG16S wads same time as the new Cheddites although recomended it seems to be a loose fit in the shell. They say they are for 7/8 to 1 oz loads, 7/8 overfills the wad ¾ fills it nice. ¾ is OK with me. At times have overfilled wads with no problems other hulls.

Friend gave me some Remington Gun Club hulls this morning they load just fine on the taper crimp P-W using ¾ oz shot and the SG16S

What’s the advice look for the old style long P-W 16 die which I am sure will cure the problem. Or get rid of the Cheddites in favor of hard to find Remington’s (old forum post says PW advises Cheddites can’t be loaded on a 375 , (they may mean can’t be loaded with taper crimp dies) Or wait for a new run of DR 16 wads.

What hulls do you guys use in 16's

Boats
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Solved the Cheddite problem. Roll crimped them. Never rolled before, easy, couple to get set up then ran a hundred only one reject due to cocked over shot wad. Used the BPI tool in a drill press. Lubed with a light wipe of Imperial size wax.

William Davis
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Normally a collapsed shell is from incorrect components filling the shell too high. In my 10ga it seems like I need about 5/8" from the top of the shot to the top of the shell. In 12ga it's around 1/2". This is with a Mec reloader, but that's what I'd look at first. I'm not familiar with a PW.
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Paul that may be the cheddite fold crimp problem. Remington's crimp fine and measuring they are a bit shorter than the cheddite hulls.

Main issue I can see is difficulty getting components for the 16. Ideal hull and wad combination un obtainable. Making do with on hand rolls are less fussy.

Anyhow have a full flat of 16's in my car now heading to the Southern SXS

William
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hope you have a good time- let us know how it went.
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Southern went well wonderful weather facility and most important people. 16 not as well. Roll crimped last minute no time to pattern. At Backwoods patterned my rolled spreaders, result disappointed me. So shot the course with factory shells even close shots. Score reflected it too. No real problem plenty of other Parkers to shoot.

Think I am going to use 1 oz next time no filler wad, then the Polywad disk. Also go to # 9 instead of 7 1/2 just for the spreader loads. Poly wads work well in my 12's, up to 20 yards .

Seems to me real 16 g problem is wad. No DR16's in stock anywhere.

William
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bill, In your 16 gauge spreader loads use the Claybuster wad, 1oz.8 shot and a 20 gauge polywad spreader insert. Do not use the 16 gauge insert. The important thing to remember with spreader loads is to not overspeed the load. This will blow the patterns. I have consistantly broken targets at 30-35 yards and maybe as much as 40 yards using this load. Just ask Dean or Larry. I have done quite a bit of testing with 16 gauge spreader loads and this is what I have been shooting for a few years now.
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good tip I just ordered those claybuster wads and have 20 G Polywad spreader inserts on hand. Also agree with you on velocity. My 12 G spreaders drop down one powder bushing from my regular target load. They pattern fine at 20 yards. Never patterned at distance but have broken longer targets.

Have to think about shot size too. My original spreader purpose was for Rabbits only, 12G 7 1/2 shot, in fact 7 1/2 shot is all I buy in quantity. Am starting to use them on any short target and if so might ought to go a bit smaller on the shot, particularly with light shot loads like with 20's or even 16's

Not a lot of 7 1/2 pellets in 3/4 oz

What's your shot size advice ? 8 or even 9 close clays ?

William
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bill, I use 8 shot for pretty much everything in spreaders. I find 8's and 9's pattern about the same. 7 1/2's not so much.
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Good advice am going to take it.

William