Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

short on short boxes
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default short on short boxes

no claim to being the first to think of this - but in case someone else is as slow as me -

I like to keep my shells in boxes (ignore what my lovely wife says when they come rolling out from under the seat in the truck) - I find it easier to grab what I want when I am heading out and to know what I have on the shelf.

but now between supply issues and NY's ban on internet orders, I am reloading more of my light loads - and I found I had not saved enough boxes for 2 1/2 inch shells.

so- with a beat up box as a pattern, a scrap of thin plywood and a couple minutes on the bandsaw, all I needed was some heavy paper or light cardboard and I have all I need, just trace it and cut with an exacto knife or good scissors. the lines are to remind me where the folds are supposed to be.

the pattern and a homemade box.

I'll make a pattern for the 2 7/8 10s as well
Unread 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Great idea Rick!!
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

What is the "NY ban" on internet orders which you referred to? (Nothing will surprise me!). This is a great idea and a neat template you have made - what are you using for glue to secure the box ends and flaps? Usually the biggest problem with well-used boxes is that the end and bottom flaps won't stay tucked under, and any jostling you wind up with shells everywhere.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

NY's so called "safe act" (don't get me started) - bans mailorder or inter net ammunition purchase.

All ammo purchases have to be made through an approved in state vendor who according to the law has to run a NICS. Check before selling it. Off course its a federal violation to use the NICS system for any thing other than firearms

Go figure

So right now it only stops out of state orders. BTW- you can still order any reloading supplies. DUH
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I gave up on boxes years ago. I reload all my ammo and the shotgun shells go into plastic pails. I like the ones cat litter or dog treats come in. When going someplace like the Southern or Hausmanns just grab a pail and your good for the weekend.

Center fire rifle ammo still goes into a box.
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I ran over to the club to do a quick round of 5 stand with that Pieper hammergun yesterday afternoon, a box was easier to grab than a kitty litter pail

As an aside, for a JABC, I like this one, the trapper commented on the fact that there was no doubt about hits with the left barrel. The more open right also gave clean breaks just bigger pieces. And it fits me quite well without adding check pads or stock extentions.
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Kevin, I had liquid glue pen that I used- since the experiments were cut out of heavy file folders I taped the bottom flap. I will try the next batch out of a heavier poster board, so we will see how they hold up
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i m glad you have come up with this great idea...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
What is a JABC??
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Grantham Forester
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default What is a JABC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
I ran over to the club to do a quick round of 5 stand with that Pieper hammergun yesterday afternoon, a box was easier to grab than a kitty litter pail

As an aside, for a JABC, I like this one, the trapper commented on the fact that there was no doubt about hits with the left barrel. The more open right also gave clean breaks just bigger pieces. And it fits me quite well without adding check pads or stock extentions.
Do you have any fotos of this Pieper hammergun you would care to post. Belgian? French? Do you know where it was made??
Unread 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Forester View Post
Do you have any fotos of this Pieper hammergun you would care to post. Belgian? French? Do you know where it was made??
Belgium - Henri Pieper - made 1877

some photos are here - before and after clean up

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=548