Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i mite could see this being the problem with a large size shot such as a no2 or a bb size shoy in lead...but could be possible the reloader was useing steel shot..just my opinion ... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

An increasing trend? The old timers didn't stretch their hulls as far as they could and then some, especially in the Depression? I am certainly no expert but if it's an increasing trend perhaps it's related to something relatively new like harder than lead shot??? Maybe there is a history of this phenomenon but this is the first I have heard of it.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,942 Times in 1,437 Posts

The barrels I looked at were damaged back in the 70's so not steel. I had understood this was more of a common problem years ago. With all of the years of combined experience I am surprised someone has not seen this before.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

This conversation supports roll crimping shells for use in older double guns. Roll crimping was the standard when most of the old guns were made, so . . .

Or the basis of a new conspiracy theory has been created.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

My theory is that back in the day if you missed to many birds the aliens would punish the hunter by messing with the barrel. If you were really a bad shot they'd let you load the new smoke less powder with your old Black Powder measure and blow up the barrel. And by golly that's what I believe - now someone prove I'm wrong.
Unread 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have never seen the type of barrel damage described so will just have to imagine what it might look like. I am wondering though how it could happen unless the shooter was extremely unlucky. If the shooter was shooting at flying targets and the gun was pointed up after the first barrel was shot the gun would probably still be in the up position making it unlikely the shot would roll down the barrel. If the shooter was firing at a ground target such as a rabbit then the barrels would be pointed down and one would think the shot would have started rolling down the barrel as was described in the opening paragraph of this thread. How unlikely would it have to be that the unlucky shooter would ALWAYS shoot the second barrel as the indicated shot pellet would be in the same position of the barrel? I have no idea what is causing the damage but for it to always be in the same place if you accept the open crimp theory seems unlikely to me.

For those who will check their shotshells and pull the loads, why not simply fire them in the right barrel? Seems like a lot less work.

Forgive me if I am missing somethiing here.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Maybe some poor soul didn't have the money for shot and was using gravel ?
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #18
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

No matter how the gun would be held, the "loose shot lying in the barrel" would end up either on the ground or in the receiver. I think it's physically impossible to get a second shell into the chamber, either by mechanical action or hand feeding a new shell in and not have the barrel pointing up or down. Sounds to me like a crop of hogwash is floating around in the universe, again. Probably started by someone located near Area 51.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Area 51 is real, try getting close without getting arrested. Both my grandpas worked at "The Base". One unloaded A bomb parts from a B52. The other built the houses, pig pens, buildings, etc. That they would blow up. Who knows what was actually at area 51, but I doubt there is anything there now. Although they still conduct critical mass tests underground.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,942 Times in 1,437 Posts

I think Mr Merrington would be qualified to judge what causes such small bulges. Since I was able to examine a set of 21 barrels currently with him for repair I can testify I have seen the UFO . Possible I could get some pictures. My understanding as to how this can happen is as follows. In fact I was shooting quail today over my dogs with my sxs. I shot the right barrel followed by shooting the left barrel only a few hundred's of a second apart. When hunting I have done this many times. I have never experienced an issue doing this. I am guessing that many of us do this regularly. I am not under the impression that pimple bulges are an epidemic but that it can happen.The theory is that upon firing the right barrel the shotgun recoils. The shotgun is stopped from recoiling as far as it would if your shoulder did not stop. This reaction forces some of the shot which may not be properly restrained (the crimp) to be thrust down the left barrel out of the loose crimped shell at a much slower speed then the pellets that are soon to follow at about 1100 fps., when the left barrel is fired. I think that whether the barrels are pointed down, up, or level this could still be an issue. Some pellets may in fact clear the muzzle, some just may not.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote