Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Parker NH short 10 load results
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker NH short 10 load results

I just recently was acquired by a 10 gauge Parker NH (my first 10) which led to a substantial out lay for all the goodies necessary to load shells for it. Since I never loaded shotgun ammo before I needed everything. I have been loading for lead only right now but will soon be into Nice Shot loading. I want to thank all the members of this great site that allowed me to pick their brains. So after loading and shooting at assorted inert objects and squirrels (no Dr. Pepper cans as yet) I decided to pattern this gun, another first for me. I hung some paper table clothes on the wash line back up as far as I could (measured 36 yards) and let loose. Wife was out shopping fortunately and wash line is still intact. The bores on the NH miked out at .800 with chokes of .035 & .037 and load was 1 1/4 oz. #6 chilled lead. By actual count my bushing threw 248 pellets.
Results were unbelievable---.035 bbl 246 pellets on paper, 240 in 30" circle/ .037 bbl 248 pellets on paper 245 in 30" circle. Both bbl's had a sparse area to lower right. This should be a great turkey gun. Sorry to be so long winded but I had fun and just wanted to share. Thanks again everyone----George
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Those are pretty good patterns. Sounds like a keeper.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,527 Times in 3,401 Posts

I loaded for the 12 , 16 , 20 , 28 , 410 and the Long 10 for a good many years and finally got tired of the whole thing . Sold all my PW loaders and said shyte on it !

After my maternal grandfather passed and I got his W&C Scott Short 10 I felt the need to load for his old gun so I could use it . And got a MEC600JR and a short kit !

Since that time I've loaded for his old W&C aswell as my Ithaca NID and a fairly new to me LC Smith . And I gotta say loading for these old cannons has reignited my intrest in loading for shotguns !

Glad you had satisfying results with your old Parker 10 !
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

george i really like to hear reports of what these old guns will do on paper you know every old parker left the factory with a card that told how well they did on paper so i think its up to us present day owners to do the same..you have a good turkey gun there... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
George Lang
PGCA Member

Member Info

Second round of patterns showed similar results. Next up are waterfowl loads in #2 & #4 Nice Shot as soon as I can find or concoct a load using Rem hulls, Win 209 primers & IMR 7625(all I could find to purchase). Will try 1 1/4 oz loads for a starter, then maybe 1 3/8 &/or 1 1/2 loads Any one have any experience with these components. Would try Blue Dot or Longshot or Fed hulls but they seem to be non-existent. Hopefully results will be similar to lead loads.
George Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Lang For Your Post:
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lang View Post
Second round of patterns showed similar results. Next up are waterfowl loads in #2 & #4 Nice Shot as soon as I can find or concoct a load using Rem hulls, Win 209 primers & IMR 7625(all I could find to purchase). Will try 1 1/4 oz loads for a starter, then maybe 1 3/8 &/or 1 1/2 loads Any one have any experience with these components. Would try Blue Dot or Longshot or Fed hulls but they seem to be non-existent. Hopefully results will be similar to lead loads.
The information I found on line and advice received here is the nice shot raises pressure about 1500 psi. So if you work with some of the lowest pressure loads you can work up from there.

A roll crimp is thought to reduce the pressure some 500psi or possibly more over a star crimp, so that may be a way to mitigate the increase a bit.

BTW, I checked out of the way shops and bought some Federal turkey loads at a reasonable price (for today anyway), dumped the load, cut them down and loaded them for short loads. I saved the copper plated 6's to reload in the spring
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lang View Post
FWIW my short 10 load is ,

REM or Federal hull

REM SP-10 wad

30 grains SR7625

WIN or CCI 209

1 1/4 ounce lead shot

I also put a 16 gauge 1/4" wad in the bottom of the SP-10 wad and a card overshot wad on top the shot before putting the crimp .Mine are all 6 point folded crimps by the way . Without the overshot cardthe crimp caves in a bit kinda like some folks 410 skeet loads .

I found this same setup without the 1/4" or overshot cards works well with eight 000 Buck , twelve 00 Buck , sixteen #1 Buck or twentyeight #3 buck .

The buck loads are closer to 1 1/2 ounces then 1 1/4 ounces but they pattern very well in all three of my guns . Oh yeah I do not add buffer . I tried it with the first 00 Buck loads and saw no improvement over the unbuffered loads .

I'd like to take credit for the original load but to be totally honest I got it out of a "Reloader Magazine" from a Ross Seyfried article written maybe 10 years ago . He has a gun that appears to be identicle to my W&C Scott . Although he hadn't made mention of the buck loads . He stated he used it with birdshot namely #2 , #6 and #8 .
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I've been wanting to get enough of the Nice Shot to kill a goose and a duck or two with grandfathers W&C just not gotten around to it yet !

Lead shot is high enough but that stuff is even worse (pricewise)

I suspect my best option for the Nice Shot will be to get a box or two from RST and be done with it !
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

your probably rite about just getting shells from rst in bismuth loads.stuff costs to much for me to reload..i like a turkey load in the 3 1/2 inch ten ga in bismouth it really patterns well..if i shot ducks and geese much i would use still shot on acount of the prices of the shells... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
your probably rite about just getting shells from rst in bismuth loads.stuff costs to much for me to reload..i like a turkey load in the 3 1/2 inch ten ga in bismouth it really patterns well..if i shot ducks and geese much i would use still shot on acount of the prices of the shells... charlie
I'd like to plow one turkey with the old W&C also !

Don't care if it's a hen , jake or beard dragger . Just wanna say I killed a turkey with that gun !

My grandfather killed several turkey with the old hun shooting Remington factory 1 1/2 ounce loads of #4's !

I'm thinking my load with 1 1/4 ounce of Magnum #4's outta be goodnuff inside 35 yards !

Tags
' circle'