Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

ITX shot
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default ITX shot

I would like to load 2 3/4" 12 and 20 ga. for ducks and shoot them in my Parkers. In loading what are the concerns using ITX instead of lead? One oz. is still one oz. no mater which you use--right?

Gary,

Sorry, I clicked the Edit key instead of the Quote key and accidentially deleted the second half of your post! My Moderator super powers got away from me... Not enought coffee!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 09-06-2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Moderator error
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Gary,

The hardness of the shot factors into peak pressure just as do a modern piston type plastic wad and a folded crimp instead of a roll crimp. Young's Modulus states that everything is a spring from a sponge to the metal in a skyscraper of bridge. Everything will bend or compress somewhat and return to its original shape. If bent or compressed too much plastic deformation occurs. The amount of elasticity of the shot and wad affects peak pressure.

When ignition occurs and the powder burns the wad moves the shot forward overcoming inertia. The wad compresses as do each and every pellet of shot. For the most part wad and shot pellets spring back into their original shape. If compressed past the elastic range shot can deform. This is caused by inertia and the weight of the shot ahead of it.

The end result is that softer shot produces less pressure than does an equal weight of harder shoot.

ITX being of less mass than lead needs a higher velocity to equal the down range killing energy (mass times the square of the velocity) of more dense shot such as lead or Nice Shot. Precision Reloading sells Nice Shot at $62.99 per kilo (2.2 lbs). They have #2's in stock. If you need #4, 5, or 6 send me a PM and maybe we can trade. I also have some Bismuth that I would trade for Nice Shot.

Nice Shot produces more peak pressure than does lead. The manufacture's website states that allowing an additional 1500 PSI to your load data will account for any additional peak pressure resulting from replacing an equal weight of Nice Shot. To compensate for the additional peak pressure replacing a folded crimp with a roll crimp can in turn lower peak pressure as can the appropriate substitution of primers. Sherman Bell developed a pressure chart for primer substitution. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy.

Reload safely,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 09-06-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
ITX
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Gary Cripps
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default ITX

Thank you Mark for your information. One should stick to tested recipes.

Has anyone on the board loaded ITX and have a low or moderate pressure load for 12 and 20 ga.?
Gary Cripps is offline   Reply With Quote