Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Federal 10 gauge base wads
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default Federal 10 gauge base wads

much of what I read refers to the spun paper base wad in Federal hull as a factor in the lower pressures achieved as compared to Remington hulls.

However for the new primed Federal 10 gauge hulls I can find (both on back order) --->

Ballistic Products' description says "This hull has the traditional spun paper base wad "

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fed...tinfo/0621035/

Midway's spec say "These hulls are deep based with a plastic disk base wad."

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536...rown-bag-of-50

does any one know is this a change in the production going forward, or have both been around and they need to be checked?
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

I have encountered Federal 10ga hulls with a slightly smoother exterior than others I had used, I noticed this a couple of years ago. I have found the smoother hulls have a slightly greater internal capacity requiring a little taller filler to get a proper crimp. I never thought to shine a light in them and look for a difference so this explains something I had encountered. FWIW I have loaded all Federal hulls the same way and never noticed a difference, having shot 1000's. No ill effects to my NH and Remington Damascus 10's. I have not seen any 3.5" 10ga recipes that specify a specific Federal 10ga hull vs. another so my guess is they are considered interchangable. I am just going to keep loading them and shooting them without concern.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I load both the cutoff Federal and cut off Remington hulls in my short 10's . I also use the exact same load in both and have not noticed any difference in loading , shooting or anything else !

I have however read in a place or two folks complaining of the Federal 10 gaueg hulls blowing the paper base wads after a firing a few times . Knock on wood so far thats not happened to me .
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I also have loaded any 10ga hull I can find but only buy the Remingtons because of the paper base wad issue. To sense chancing one coming out. Seeing how I don't hunt any more and just use mine for clay targets all my loads are on the light side.