Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

That wood is beautiful.
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,413 Times in 4,592 Posts

Actually, a repair would be out of the question, I forgot about the tang extension. At least ok of the question if you planned on correctly putting the gun back together and removing the tang extension.
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

The tang extension, while done well, is not nice enough to be a keeper. A integral part of the guns history perhaps, but not really something that I see when I imagine this gun finished. I'm interested to know if there is any way to keep the stock in one way or another. Up until now it was my belief that this stock was good only as a template for a restock.
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,930 Times in 1,411 Posts

I'm wondering if some expert stock repair person wouldn't be able fix that break and make it whole again, even splicing in a piece of wood where the extended tang was inletted. Mark Larson comes to mind as being able to make different pieces of wood look like one piece. I have no idea if all this repair work is possible or what the cost to fix would be compared to a new butt stock but if the cost is similar, at least you would have the original wood on the gun.
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck,
That's a good point. I've seen some of his work on here and he is a magician. I am talking to someone regarding the stock and will make a decision soon. My ideal build will not cost a fortune and I am planning on attempting a stock myself. I've already done a little work and want to give this a go if the original is not to be salvaged. I'll leave checkering and possibly inletting to the pros however.
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

There are few mating surfaces left to attach the butt of the stock to the inletted portion. It would be a real effort to get this stock back together. By the worn surfaces on the broken pieces, you can see that the damage was done long ago.

Upper tang extension repair. Whomever did this knew a little, note that the engraving is intact

Upper tang extension

Broken screw on trigger-guard

Broken sear

Side by side comparrison

Broken triggerplate, broken triggers

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

It hurts to imagine what on earth happened to this poor gun
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

if they could only talk what they have been through..i have a old parker 8 ga that has been treated the worst of any gun i ve ever saw...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,783 Times in 601 Posts

I would try and fix it first and foremost ...just my 2 cents ,if it couldn't be done then maybe a transplant ...but it seems to be all there ,a little splice here and there to fill out the missing pieces that may or may not be seen in the end,but in my opinion part of the gun's story

Good luck with it !!!
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Left lock sear replacement
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #20
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Left lock sear replacement

So here is my latest update...
Brian Dudley was kind enough to stop by on his way to the Southern SXS. It was a real pleasure meeting him, his wife, and his guns! Brian helped me out with some parts I needed to get going. First of all I want to thank Brian for his help and advice. I'm a relative newbie to Parkers and given the age of this one, it was nice to get some pointers on how to move forward. The level of commitment and fellowship that our members have is amazing and Brian is a testament to that. Thanks also to Jim DiSpagno for his call the other day. What a guy (just don't plan on doing anything for a couple of hours if he get's you on the phone)! Jim has helped out too with lots of support! What a generous group we have.

So here are photos of the tang extensioin inletting, the upper tang extension and the sear replacement on the left lock.

Tang inletting and tang extension

Tang extension removal

The extent of the stock damage

Sear repair

I also cleaned and polished the lock parts. Then I removed the upper tang extension, filing and polishing down to original metal.

Before and after...

Before

After

More photos of the left lock

There are many more photos available in the album I created for this project "Parker Lifter Project". Feel free to check them out if you like.