Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

A salute to our friends at RST
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,316 Times in 1,220 Posts

Default A salute to our friends at RST

So I met up with a friend again yesterday to hunt for grouse in the mountains. Mast nuts and berries are scarce this year at least in this part of PA, but we found the birds at a cover I call "Lilac" where I found some blooming lilac bushes a long time ago while scouting for spring turkeys. It's an old homestead way past a road gate on state game lands out near the cabin. A long but easy walk along an old mining road that's closed off. We decided it would be 16 gauge day, and friend was using a really nice Ithaca NID and I had my A grade Fox.

Lilac has plenty of crabapple bushes, and we sure found the birds. A brace flushed well in range but behind some hemlocks, no shooting. A single was missed, time for one shot only. Then another pair flushed together and I took this big cock bird with the first barrel. Interesting story, I like paper shells and I usually hunt with vintage papers or the new RST papers. Yesterday morning was pretty cold and I was in a hunting coat I haven't worn since last year. I found some gum wrappers in the pocket along with a single RST plastic, and I had it in the right barrel for good luck since its color is lilac and that's where we were. The red colored shell is a vintage Super-X roll crimp paper. (People often pirate my pics so I added the copyright info on this one). Bird's crop was FULL with 6 small crabapples along with bits of sweet fern and green leaves.

While taking pics my partner noticed the RST plastic was labeled "Woodcock" and it had been loaded with 3/4 ounce of # 10 shot. Then I remembered last year I'd put some 10's in my coat when we hunted along a wet area where woodcock can be found. Apparently I missed taking the shell from the coat pocket afterwards. Anyway, 3/4 ounce of 10's at 32 stepped off yards with a factory IC choke sure did the trick on this bird. I won't be loading them deliberately when out for grouse but all I can say is that RST sure puts up a heck of a shell! I'll be sharing this story with Alex, Jill and Morris too! I hope you enjoyed it.

Frank
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Those boys don't make a bad shell. I'd have killed that wood duck the other day with one of their shells if I hadn't accidentally slipped in that black powder!

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice pictures, I like the 2 16's picture. Nice guns. That fox looks very racey.
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,184 Times in 3,264 Posts

one more praise for RST

on the way home from a hunt last Wednesday I got a call from a friend who was out woodcock hunting and found woodducks back in his area. We were to go after them on Sunday

The only non tox I had was for the 10lb hammer 10- not the best jump shooting gun

Thursday morning I called RST, and Friday nice shot 16's were waiting for me when I got home from hunting.

THAT is service

unfortunately the ducks did not cooperate near as well
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,336 Times in 12,402 Posts

Thanks for sharing Frank! Nice pictures too.

RST shells are just about the only ammo I use anymore. They make so many variations that I never have to look elsewhere and my Parkers like RST ammo too.

I just discovered about a half-dozen RST 12 gauge 3/4 oz. #10 woodcock loads amongst my shooting stuff. They should be perfect in my 'new' 1-frame Grade 3 hammergun when the flights begin to arrive in my area of Vt.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

rst makes wonderful ammo...also, shot a round of skeet the other day with polywad 16 gauge vintager loads with 3/4 ounce of 7 1/2's....shot one of my best rounds ever...ordered a new case; will report results.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

I have posted this before, but here is my son after he shot a shotgun for the first time - Parker GH 12 using an RST shell. Granted, I held the gun with him in front of me while he pulled the trigger. I cannot say enough good things about RST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (497.8 KB, 3 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

In a couple of years he will be saying comeon dad I can do it my self.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,360 Times in 4,428 Posts

I have them both trained to pull sporting clays for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (502.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (556.1 KB, 1 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

looks like you mite ought to be hunting a coupla cheap 28 ga for long...your training them rite... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote