Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #91
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

Regarding the last point --- it is definitely not true. Parker made what the customer wanted. I have seen order book entries where a $250 Parker "A" grade was ordered to have no engraving whatsoever. If someone wanted a Parker with no checking, that is what he would have received. I would be very interested in learning what the bore diameters were before and after the barrel work was done, and at what posits the measurements were made. Of course, if the bores needed honing they were probably badly pitted,, so unless measurements were made at several positions, the values obtained might not reflect the initial dimensions when the barrels were finished at the factory.

Also, I typed without thinking when I said there were no 11-gauge Parkers with Serial Numbers above 6000. Bill Furnish reported that he had four 11-gauge Parkers with higher numbers--S/N 8900, 12053, 14827 & 25991. Parker 8900 was chambered 0.810" for 12A brass or 12-gauge paper shells. Parker #14827 was chambered for 10 gauge shells (0.851') but the S/N 12053 and 25991 guns were both chambered for 11A brass or 11 paper shells (0.825" to 0.830").

Could you please let me know what is the Serial Number of the gun and do he numbers all match? Can you also send photos of the stock and forend?

Yours,

Richard
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #92
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard,
ALL the numbers match. The serial number is 40419. I do have a Choke gauge, I recently bought from Connecticut Shotgun. The gauge goes as high as 12ga. One of the barrels stops the gauge at the very last stop...Cylinder, the other barrel is too big for the gauge and it slides completely in... easily. I will supply you with specifics on the barrel measurements tomorrow when I call the barrel guy.
I will send you pics of the stock and forend, but I have the stock removed from the receiver..is that ok? Do you have an email address you are willing to give me, so I can email the pics?
Carl
Carl Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #93
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard,
I have sent in the money for the Parker letter. I called the gunsmith who did the barrels and he said the original bore was .752/753 and he opened it up to .765. The thinnest spot after the job was complete was.33. He does not remember what the chamber size was. I asked him again about the gauge and he said it's tough to say because a lot of the old Parkers were just plain big.
I have not heard from you about an email to send you pictures. Is it because you were under the impression that the gun was for sale? If so, I am sorry I mislead you. I will continue to share with you what I find out.
Carl
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #94
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

I understand the gun is not for sale. I was asking for images to try to help answer your questions. The chamber size you can easily answer yourself without any tools. Slip in a modern 12 gauge shell. If it fits just like in any modern 12gauge gun the chambers are 12 gauge. If the shell is very loose try a 10 gauge shell. If it can not be slid in then it is probably chambered 0.825 for an 11A shell. Have you looked up he Serial number in the Parker Serialization book?

Also are you sure the stock is maple? If so, the gun was probable restocked, as I have never heard of Parkernusing maple for a stock. There are other experts here who would know far more about this question than I do, and maybe they will comment on that point.

I hope this is helpful.

Richard
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #95
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

Sorry, I forgot to list my e-mail.

Entogonia@AOL.COM

Richard
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #96
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Richard,
It seems to take a 12 ga. shell just perfectly, maybe a little play, but not so you'd notice. I am a wood person and it's tiger maple. I've taken the pics to show you. They will be downloaded later today. I have looked up the number in the Parker double book set. It was made in 1884. I don't know of another book? I did dial in the serial number before sending the letter and there is information available on it.
I believe you are right. I was hoping that it had been stocked in Maple, because the cost to replace the stock is a lot more than the forend. However, setting up the forend for the pics, there is no doubt it's original. The stock is the issue.
Thanks,
Carl
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #97
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

The Serialization lists Parker Number 40419 as a 12 gauge with 32" barrels in Stub Twist made in 1884.

Richard
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #98
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Carl,

The other book is

Parker Gun: Identification and Serialization. 2002.

You can get it at Amazon.com for $37 and it is a must for every Parker enthusiast.

Richard
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #99
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hi Richard,
Just sent several pictures to your email address.
Carl
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #100
Carl Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

I will order the book right away. Well that answers my question. Thanks a bunch.
Carl