Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #21
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Im not sure on dove but if they are similar size to our quail 9s are pretty deadly on them , then again quail are shot at almost point blank ranges at least here . Only thing I have used #4s on is squirrels and it really hammers them . I was thinking a duplex load of 6s and 8s would be interesting but from all the pattern testing ive seen duplex loads dont work out in practice as they do in theory .
For September dove I'm all about 9's or 8 1/2's or 8's .

For the middle and late season birds I think you need a slightly larger size shot , but no larger than 7 1/2 .

I only use 6's for things like pheasents and stuff that has hair .

The 4's are kinda more of an in case while deer hunting with whatever .

I likes to have me plenty of OPTIONS
Unread 08-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #22
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
For September dove I'm all about 9's or 8 1/2's or 8's .

For the middle and late season birds I think you need a slightly larger size shot , but no larger than 7 1/2 .

I only use 6's for things like pheasents and stuff that has hair .

The 4's are kinda more of an in case while deer hunting with whatever .

I likes to have me plenty of OPTIONS
Looking at the season dates for dove here Dove Statewide
Sept. 5–30
Nov. 21–Nov. 29
Dec. 8–Jan. 31.
It will probably be the Dec 8 - Jan 31 dates that I can go on . Our peanut harvest season is about to be here and we run that 7 days a week until sometime November .

Options are always nice , I remember the last time me and my oldest brother were deer hunting all we seen were large squirrels . I remember thinking I wish I had brought a shotgun instead of a 300 WM haha .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
use some gage mates or skeeters and use 12 ga loads in the 10 ga...I have done this it works well andkills dove...charlie
Its really tempting for me to buy a Parker 16 gauge , the RST loads arent that expensive for it . But I have a list of about 5 guns I am thinking of buying so im not sure yet If I will pickup another sxs or not .
Unread 08-12-2020, 02:04 AM   #24
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
Its really tempting for me to buy a Parker 16 gauge , the RST loads arent that expensive for it . But I have a list of about 5 guns I am thinking of buying so im not sure yet If I will pickup another sxs or not .
I have a half dozen Parker 16’s now and there’s still one or two other Parker 16’s I’d like to acquire .
Unread 08-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #25
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

I once owned a short ten LC Smith and handloaded for it, all the way down to one ounce. Never considered trying it on doves. I have so many other sub-gauge doubles that are more suited to dove shooting. My personal preference in shot size is 8s in the first two seasons, then 7 1/2s on the more mature, tough migratory birds. From 7/8 to 1 oz. of shot is all I've ever felt I needed, with enough choke, and I'll admit to liking tight chokes. Pattern density is what kills. One can achieve sufficient density with lighter payloads by going to tighter chokes. I'd never consider 1 1/4 oz. of shot for doves. Way too much overkill.

Milton, you'd love a 16 with one ounce of shot on late season doves. The DHE 16/20 with 32" barrels in both gauges, that I acquired late last year, is a dream come true on doves. I call it my "peanut field gun".

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #26
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
I once owned a short ten LC Smith and handloaded for it, all the way down to one ounce. Never considered trying it on doves. I have so many other sub-gauge doubles that are more suited to dove shooting. My personal preference in shot size is 8s in the first two seasons, then 7 1/2s on the more mature, tough migratory birds. From 7/8 to 1 oz. of shot is all I've ever felt I needed, with enough choke, and I'll admit to liking tight chokes. Pattern density is what kills. One can achieve sufficient density with lighter payloads by going to tighter chokes. I'd never consider 1 1/4 oz. of shot for doves. Way too much overkill.

Milton, you'd love a 16 with one ounce of shot on late season doves. The DHE 16/20 with 32" barrels in both gauges, that I acquired late last year, is a dream come true on doves. I call it my "peanut field gun".

SRH
Ive looked at a few 16 gauges , If I was to get a Parkers I would go with a PH 16 I have been looking at . Ive read only about 209 PH 16s were made but they dont seem too hard to find for sale .

Problem is two very nice 10 gauge doubles just popped up for sale I cant stop myself from buying them when I see one that catches my attention .
Unread 08-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

you gona have to look long and hard to find a bigger 10 ga than you already got...ha charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2020, 01:17 AM   #28
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
you gona have to look long and hard to find a bigger 10 ga than you already got...ha charlie
Charlie I seen a 20 gauge a few weeks ago that reminded me of something you would shoot , it was a single barrel 20 gauge that apparently someone had build on a 4 bore action . It was over 25lbs

But yes I think the only 10 bigger than a 6 frame would be if someone had a 7 frame 10 gauge .

I wouldnt mind finding a beat up or well used double 8 if one came along .
Unread 08-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #29
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that's got to be a record for weight for a 20 ga... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote