Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

The Story Behind The Story
Unread 06-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Default The Story Behind The Story

Most of you PGCA members have received your Parker Pages and have read the wonderful article by Mike MCKinney concerning the "Landfill Parker." As an old New England talk show host, Larry Glick, used to say, here's the story behind the story.

Mike briefly mentioned about me contacting him but I want to tell you what brought this all about. I received a research request from "Mrs. Weaver" in the beginning of February 2017. She was a non-PGCA member and so there was a check enclosed for $100.00. I don't have the research form she sent me so my memory is a little cloudy but I could tell from the comments that she didn't know much about shotguns, let alone Parker Bros. shotguns. The gun tuned out to be a GHE .410 made in 1931. Luckily, she included her telephone number on the research form. I decided to call her because I wanted to tell her she had a valuable shotgun if she already didn't know that.

So I called her telephone number and got an answering machine. I left a message telling her who I was and that I was calling about the research letter request I'd received. Nobody called me back and I figured she wasn't interested in talking to me. About a month later while taking my afternoon nap (I know, I know) I was awakened by the phone ringing and groggily answered. Most of the time I don't answer if I don't recognize the caller ID but I answered the phone. Still a little confused, I had a hard time understanding the guy on the phone due to his southern accent. He explained that he was Mrs Weaver's son Fletch. We had about a 1/2 hour conversation and I told him that his gun was worth a good amount of money if in decent condition. I asked him a bunch of questions about the gun but I don't know how accurate his response was since he was not familiar with Parker shotguns. He did say that it had a steel buttplate which I told him was not original. He also mentioned that the gun was being cleaned and inspected at a local gunsmith. I cautioned him about not trusting a valuable gun to a gunsmith who may not have knowledge about vintage shotguns.

Mrs. Weaver and Fletch live in western North Carolina and I knew that Mike McKinney lived in that general area. I asked Fletch if it was OK to contact Mike and see if Mike could examine the gun in person. He said that would be good. I then contacted Mike and gave him the lowdown on this GHE .410 and the phone number for Fletch. Mike was very interested and he said he would call them.

I talked to Mike after his meeting with Mrs. Weaver and Fletch and Mike said there was some more interesting things about this gun but he wouldn't tell me, he said to wait till the Parker Pages article appeared. That's when I read about the circumstances on how Mrs. Weaver acquired the gun.

Helping people like this gives you a good feeling. I'm glad Fletch is now the new owner of that GHE .410!
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Thanks Chuck for the "rest of the story" I also enjoyed Mike's article
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,866 Times in 4,754 Posts

Years ago, Ron Kirby gave me a similar story about someone who wanted to have their Parker looked at. It turned out to be a wonderful .410 VHE Skeet. It turned out that the owners lived about four blocks from my office.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I can't wait to get my Parker Pages to read about this!!
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Robin, call me up and I'll read it to you. It is a new service I am offering older folk. Kinda like 'Books On Tape".
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Whats so hawd for y'all to understand bout a good ole southn boy a goin by the name of Fletch?
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
I had a hard time understanding the guy on the phone due to his southern accent.
Now Chuch, wah Ah say wah do ya haf ta go an mock tha way us Sawtherners speek. Ifn you yanks spoke proppa english dis wottint be an ishu.

Unread 06-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
I had a hard time understanding the guy on the phone due to his southern accent. He explained that he was Mrs Weaver's son Fletch. We had about a 1/2 hour conversation and I told him that his gun was worth a good amount of money if in decent condition.
Chuck, down there, If in is one word, spelled if'n. It would be used in a sentence something like this " If'n you was to go to the stop sign where that house used to be, and went south a spell.."

We Yankees do have our accents also, or so they tell me.
My daughter went to college for 5 years in Florida, and has never lived north of the Mason-Dixon line since. While I had some difficulty understanding her before she moved south, a half hour conversation with her now consists of lots of 'What? What did you say? say it AGAIN, Slowly"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

It's amazing how many Yankees that I meet believe that I-95 only runs South.

Best Regards, George
Unread 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lander View Post
It's amazing how many Yankees that I meet believe that I-95 only runs South.

Best Regards, George
Not that odd at all, George. I have been to a few shoots, south of the Mason-Dixon, and met a lot of nice folk. But, when I think about it, I don't think I've seen a single one of them up here. Sandanona? Nope. Ten Mile River? Nope, none there. Addieville. No can't say as I remember a one of them there either. So, George, it isn't so much we only think I-95 runs South, It's a bit more like many of ya'll don't believe it runs North either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: