Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Nut Boring
Unread 12-07-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Nut Boring

When i look up choke related threads I see lots of info from Austin Hogan about the profile of the original parker choke. There are also many threads where he seems to say that a "nut borer" was used in the barrel shop to adjust full choked barrels to customer specs. So what does a nut borer look like?
Perhaps this is discussed in the back issues section but I cant figure out how to search which issue.
Thanks
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,183 Times in 12,366 Posts

I have dozens of Austin’s original studies, charts, graphs, and writings on all things Parker. He even mentions the nut borer or the boring nut but never pictures it or even describes it fully.
If I ever find anything in his files that shed more light on this subject I’ll post it here.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Beck View Post
When i look up choke related threads I see lots of info from Austin Hogan about the profile of the original parker choke. There are also many threads where he seems to say that a "nut borer" was used in the barrel shop to adjust full choked barrels to customer specs. So what does a nut borer look like?
Perhaps this is discussed in the back issues section but I cant figure out how to search which issue.
Thanks
On page 100 of Peter Johnson's book ("Parker, America's Finest Shotgun"), he illustrates and describes tools and process used in the barrel and choke boring operation. I have also heard this tool referred to as a "nut borer" in this context, but can't remember when or where.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #4
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks to you both. Ill look for the book.
Unread 12-08-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,516 Times in 3,096 Posts

TPS doesn't go into detail on the shape of chokes, and the tools, and I suspect Peter Johnson's references are, while historically correct, representative of early manufacturing techniques.
Charley Parker sold a lot of tooling and misc. parts to Gary Herman. Gary subsequently passed them on to me. Amongst the tooling were chamber rim cutters, and a wooden box containing more than a complete set of reamers. Many of the reamers were stamped with the full name 'Hayes' and in some cases, the initials J.H. (James Hayes)
Most of these reamers were threaded on the driving end, and one or two may have been square headed, which was the typical configuration of normal machinist's tools. "Nut Cutters" may have referred to a type of reamer (still listed as such) with a hex head, though I'm not certain of this.
The Hayes reamers with threaded ends were complete with the rods used in the boring machine. The consisted of a Morse Taper end, which was, and still is, used to couple the tool to the spindle. The rods, all about 3' long, had an adjustable stop ring. The far end was female threaded to accept the reamer itself
All of Hayes' reamers were of straight taper design, which leads me to believe, that at some point, the method, and reamer shape described in Johnson's book was no longer used. As Hayes was chief tool designer, and maker, as well as a brilliant engineer, I believe he may have played a role in Parker adopting a new choke design.
The same tool was used to bore all constrictions. This was determined by the depth, limited by the stop ring, that the barrel moved into the machine. The further it went, the larger the tool was at the point it exited the barrel. This naturally accounts for the reason that tighter chokes are longer chokes.
I have since passed all these tools onto another member/collector, who has amassed a more thorough collection of early Parker tools and history. I was especially glad they went to him because he has a family connection to James Hayes.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,183 Times in 12,366 Posts

Edgar, maybe through your experience in the field you could explain how Parker Bros. attained the “ogee” choke profiles that Austin described and charted and plotted that I received from him. He suggests these profiles were the result of using a “boring nut”.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2023, 05:20 PM   #7
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

Edgar could you detail the process from raw tube to finish boring? The step 1,2,3 etc. of making the tube.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Edgar, maybe through your experience in the field you could explain how Parker Bros. attained the “ogee” choke profiles that Austin described and charted and plotted that I received from him. He suggests these profiles were the result of using a “boring nut”.
I've heard the early cutters referred by different acronyms, and how that particular tool got it's name is anyone's guess, but it often came about by what it looked like. This predates a machine called a cutter grinder, and the individual flights may have been individually ground, but as I recall, their early tool was a single flight (cutting edge), which had it curved surface cut by a template, with a large relief for clearing the swarf, or chirps. The individual cutting edge had the advantage of, virtually no chatter, resulting in smooth surface. Aside from the coarse surface, chatter could make the tool go off center. Also, chatter, in a composite barrel would very likely spoil the tube entirely. As an aside, the deep hole drilling bits we made for the oil drill bit companies had an odd number of flights, and they typically were not spaced evenly. We made bits from 8" to a whopping 26" in diameter.
The early, ogee bits also predated expanding reamers. The tool was repeatedly run down the bore, and each successive pass was shimmed to increase the diameter. TPS says somewhere that the shims were pine, but I believe that didn't last long as the pine shim would become spongy with cutting oil, and impregnated swarf debris. I recall reading that the shim preferred was walnut. I believe the English used lignum vitae, which, they believed gave longer, and uniform life. The final bore may have gotten a light hone, but I wonder what the honing stone was. Carborundum, a Union Carbide invention, didn't come along for some time. In fact, the whole science of abrasives was in it's infancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Edgar could you detail the process from raw tube to finish boring? The step 1,2,3 etc. of making the tube.
Dan, I believe Parker bought all their barrel tubes in a "near net shape". Several companies supplied tubes and Charles Parker, in his fashion of 'Do what you do best, buy what you don't' seized the opportunity to make his own barrels by buying up the stock of decarbonized steel barrels from Tripplett & Scott, when they failed to win any significant contracts from the war dept. Those barrels were made from a semi-steel compostition, but the low carbon content yielded a very low tensile strength, making the thin walled shotgun tube only suitable for the lowest pressure ammunition.
The purchased steel barrel tubes were made by starting with a hollow billet, and repeatedly drawing it through mandrels, getting smaller, but longer with each pass. The hollow center, while rough at first, was likely bored first then, as needed, the OD turned for concentricity. This drawing process gave a very refined grain structure, and surprisingly, a very straight tube.
The making of damascus tubes is a process pretty well discussed, but involved wrapping the composite material of iron and steel around a mandrel and forge welding it into a tightly knitted, almost homogeneous material. There are several TV shows of competitive blade makers making their own blanks; some better than the dismal attempts of others. The use of flux material seems to weigh heavily in their product.
Parker and most gun makers brazed or soldered their tubes together, then constructed the lugs separately. Highest quality barrels, such as chopper lump, are tubes with the lugs an integral part of the forging, machined and them soldered together. Unlike the barrel failure of the Repro, in another thread, Chopper lump barrels can't "come apart".
The purchased tubes likely only got one, maybe two rough boring operations, before assembly. reaming and chamber cutting was almost certainly done when the two tubes were now a barrel set. Chamber reaming, and finally rim cutting, were done before fitting to the receiver. I've never run across any info describing pattern testing, or regulating, but this would have been done before the strikers, armed with scrapers and draw files, went to work.
Not quite the scale we're into, but our partner foundry, in the UK Midlands poured an HY alloy, pretty similar to HY80, and HY100, and cast the one piece turrets for the Challenger, the British Main Battle tank. Since we were already running a centrifugal pouring line for refinery cracking tubes, I proposed the idea to the MOD to let us in on the bidding for a centrifugally cast HY80 barrel blank for the 105mm NATO Howitzer. We succeeded in getting an initial contract for 40 pieces. Like all 'Gov't' work, they were still in testing when I decided I'd rather be home with my critters.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #9
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thats very interesting, not dissimilar from what Williamsburg does to ream forged rifle barrels. A succession of reamers followed by a scraper that is shimmed with successive passes. The compression of the shims apparently cuts a slightly smaller bore at the muzzle which wouldnt be bad in a choking situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2023, 08:35 PM   #10
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Aaron, I find rifle barrel making very interesting. The rifling machines are fascinating. Lancaster had a 'unique' oval boring machine, which didn't have lands and grooves, but just a slow, spiraling oval.