Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Curious new guy from VT
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Tim Upton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Curious new guy from VT

Hello

My father died of cancer a few years ago. One day, several months before he died, it hit him that he wouldn't ever be able to hunt again. He told me that he wanted me to take all of his guns, and do whatever I wanted with them.

I decided I would keep a few guns that were still in active use, along with several older guns that I thought were particularly pretty/interesting, or had some sentimental value. I gave my brother and sister the pick of what they wanted. The rest, I traded in at a gun shop and turned them into a few new guns for myself and my own boys.

Anyway, one of the guns I found in the cabinet was a Parker double, which I'd never really known much about. From what I've been able to find, I believe was manufactured in the 1890s. (I've ordered a letter.) When I was doing the trade, I asked the gun dealer to appraise it for me. He told me it wasn't really worth anything because of some damage to the stock. Based on some other appraisals he did, I'm not sure I should believe him. I have no interest in selling it, so it probably doesn't really matter, but I'm still curious as to whether I've got a boat anchor, a mildly interesting gun that belonged to my father (which is pretty cool),or something else. So here I am.

I've got lots of detailed photos. I'll just put up one of the gun and one of the damaged stock to start. Does this really make the gun junk?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Tim

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg
Tim Upton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Upton For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Tim,

Find yourself another dealer. A DH grade at the least (can't see if it has ejectors) with a skeleton buttplate. He must be a crook. A desirable gun, grade 3, that is considered the first of the high grade guns, referred to as the Doctor's grade by the Parker people back then since it was preferred by so many doctors (who obviously had money for an upgrade). Easily repairable and a common break when set down hard on the metal buttplate which was thin and would bend there causing the break.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Tim Upton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you very much. I had a feeling. He tried to screw me on a couple of the trades. Luckily I had done some research on my own and had some help from a friend who's an avid collector. I asked him to rate the gun, and he said it was "about 40%." That sounded kind of low, but either way I thought he was full of it. When I told him the book value was WAY above his for that same gun at 10%, his response was "Then why don't you see if you can get the book to buy it from you." I knew I'd never do business with him again.

It does have ejectors, and it is marked with a "D."

Interesting that it was the "doctor's gun," since my great-grandfather was a doctor . . . as were my grandfather and my father. I think it most likely belonged to him. Here are a few more closeups.

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Upton For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Hi Tim,

Sorry for your loss.

You mentioned that your father left you the gun so this Parker is pretty special. As Jerry said you have a DH grade that was a $100 gun back in the day circa 1890's. A big sum of money when the typical wage of a blacksmith was .27 cents an hour

The person you took this to knew what you really had and pretty much insulted you and your dad trying to get a big profit.

When you get the letter, let us know what the letter says. There could be some neat history of who and where the gun was ordered.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Just saw your close ups. You have a really nice Parker!! How long are the barrels?
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Tad Tadlock
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wouldn't trade with that fellow anymore, either.

That's a very nice heirloom Parker that you have.

My DH is close in serial number to yours and has the same engraving.
Tad Tadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tad Tadlock For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Tim Upton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
Just saw your close ups. You have a really nice Parker!! How long are the barrels?
30"
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #8
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

DHE then. Can't see the silver stock shield on the bottom of the stock. There? Initials? Screws look unturned, but if they were someone was very careful.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you have the right person match and repair your gun you will never know it was broke. Some of the other fellows on this forum might have a value on your gun but repaired properly 'and if the barrels are unpitted with ejectors at least 3000.00 to 3500. Its a very nice gun and a grate memory to have. Don't have the gun restored just have the repair fixed.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
Tim Upton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
DHE then. Can't see the silver stock shield on the bottom of the stock. There? Initials? Screws look unturned, but if they were someone was very careful.
This is what you were asking about, correct?

IMG_4531.jpg