Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,896 Times in 4,769 Posts

My more than 50 year experience with Cutts Compensators sure differs from Dave's. I still own about twenty Cutts guns and shoot them regularly. I have not seen or heard of a damaged Cutts in all that time. I have also never seen any evidence that a wad or a slug had ever gone sideways in a
Cutts body. I've also never seen one of those damaged Poly Chokes that he describes. Of course, that's just me.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have shot a Cutts for 30 years and never had a problem.
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,896 Times in 4,769 Posts

One of my Cutts guns is a Parker, problem free since it was made.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

Wow Bill! You have s SBT with a Cutts?!? That must be something to see!
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,609 Times in 3,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
i have a model 12 winchester with a cutts full choke on it..it does pattern really good with bird shot but ive never shot slugs or buck shot in it...you will have to tell us how youre gun does with the slugs i bet it shoots ok...it should do ok out to 50 yards or better in my opinion.. charlie
The Federal factory loaded #1 Buck did okay at 25 yards . POI of the Winchester and Federal factory slugs was okay also . The Remington slug was a good deal low with the same hold point .

My Kerner double thats full and fuller shot the right barrel okay with buck but the left barrel was shyte . With the slugs the Win and Fed printed fairly decent right/left groups at 25 yards and again the Rem not so great .

And as to the Cutts , no problem what so ever !

My old shooting buddy that passed a few months ago had Model 12's in each gauge as well as a couple Model 42's all Cutts Compensated . Had a couple Browning A-5's and Remington 870's with Cutts as well .

He liked Polychokes as well although I'm not sure why . Matter of fact I sold him the Model 12 Deluxe Field I had with the Poly on the end .
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

The last gun I will own will be an 1100 with a vent rib and a ventilated poly choke.
Unread 10-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,112 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
My more than 50 year experience with Cutts Compensators sure differs from Dave's. I still own about twenty Cutts guns and shoot them regularly. I have not seen or heard of a damaged Cutts in all that time. I have also never seen any evidence that a wad or a slug had ever gone sideways in a
Cutts body. I've also never seen one of those damaged Poly Chokes that he describes. Of course, that's just me.
Bill, believe me, after 35 years as a gun store owner that offered gunsmithing, I have seen about every bad thing that can happen to a shotgun, rifle or handgun.
I certainly wasn't criticizing the Cutts style chokes, I think they are cool in a nostalgic way. I was just answering a question that was asked, based on my personal observation. I should clarify that I was refering to the old large diameter compensators that required the shot column and wad to jump a relatively long open gap between the muzzle and the choke tube. Poly Choke solved that problem by putting their compensator after the choke mechanism. And yes, Poly's can be damaged also, though usually from incorrect use by the shooter. The "fingers" of these collet style chokes can get bent when cleaning or when not cleaned often enough. And I will mention again, nimrods shooting slugs through them when they're screwed down to extra full. I have seen many with missing "fingers", and once one is gone your shot pattern or accuracy with a slug is gone also.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
And I will mention again, nimrods shooting slugs through them when they're screwed down to extra full.
Well since I "assume" you just called me a "nimrod" I will assume you're calling me an idiot as well !
Although I wasn't using a Poly in this instance .And for the life of me I reread everything I posted and I NEVER asked an opinion on a Poly Choke !
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,112 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Well since I "assume" you just called me a "nimrod" I will assume you're calling me an idiot as well !
Although I wasn't using a Poly in this instance .And for the life of me I reread everything I posted and I NEVER asked an opinion on a Poly Choke !
Craig, your name was not mentioned in the quoted post or any other that I have posted until this one, so your assumptions are incorrect. I used the word "nimrod" (hunter) not "dim wit" (idiot).
In your previous posts you voiced some concern of shooting a slug thru your Cutts. In my first response I was merely saying that your concerns were not unfounded. I then went on to say that I had also seen Poly Chokes damaged by shooting slugs. If my attempts to add some personal observations made over many years of experience offended you or Bill, then I humbly appolgize.
I will politely exit this conversation now.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Shot two rounds of skeet yesterday with my old Remington 48 16 gauge with the Cutts !

Had some old Remington and Winchester high brass 1 1/8 ounce factory loads of #5's I wanted to use up so I had the hulls . That old 48 takes the thump outta those high brass shells !

And I gotta say #5's roll up clay targets , well all except the two I missed !

Shot a round with my LC Smith Quality 2 10 gauge also !
I got 24 outta 25 with that one and didn't miss , the one that wasn't hit can be attributed to a bad shell !