Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Need help with information.
Unread 08-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Jim Haney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Need help with information.

Hi,
I have looked around the site and found a lot of good info about the gun I acquired. It is a Parker Bros. D'barrel 12 Ga. serial number 33767 made in 1883.

Frame size is 2
30" Barrels
Weight 5
Twist Steel
Total produced 5,122
Made in 1883

The barrel has two numbers. the serial nunber and the barrel number is 19445.Does this mean anything?
Also, the number to the left of the barrel number looks like a big "C' with the initials T J in it.
What would this mean?

Also, I believe the grade is C H Grade 4 ?
I am guessing about this based on the silver shield on the stock? Is this correct?

I included some pic's for viewing

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Haney
Decatur, TN [/I]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4825.JPG (74.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4826.JPG (74.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4827.JPG (87.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4828.JPG (72.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4829.JPG (85.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4830.JPG (74.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Jim Haney; 08-29-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Jim Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

Question

Jim, you have a very interesting gun.

The engraving on the breach balls, hammers, and sidelocks looks like a Quality 2 Grade G however there is no letter or number designation on the receiver water table nor on the barrel flats. Also, the barrels are twist steel (this is what the large T inside the semi circles means plus what is on the rib.) Grade 2's should have damascus steel normally. Did you find the number 33767 on the left barrel lug or the last 3 digits of the s/n on the face of the barrel lug?? It could be that the barrels are a replacement if you don't find the serial number on the barrels. The forend should also have the s/n on the forend metal.

Also, take a picture of the checkering pattern on the forend and the underside of the receiver.

Looks like the stock is pulling away from the receiver, is this the case?

Let's get some other opinions from the group

Last edited by Chuck Bishop; 08-30-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

#19445 is the order number

It sure looks like grade 2 engraving. Are there two birds on each lock plate and maybe one on the bottom of the action?? Kind of odd to have a grade 2 gun with twist bbls. Could have been ordered that way or are replacements. Also, the 5 lb pre struck weight stamp on the barrel flat is pretty heavy for 30" bbls....they may have been cut or are struck pretty stout. If it is tight and on face and the bores are clean it will make a good shooter.

The serial number isn't in the serialization book. Good luck and if you want more information you can send for a letter.

Good luck.
Kurt
Unread 08-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I just checked the serialization book and The Parker Story.

According to the Serialization Book there were found 256 Quality 2 guns with twist barrels recorded as T2.

According to The Parker Story, there are only 2 top action guns recorded in the stock books as having T2 barrels and both of them are 10ga.
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

It is probably a Grade 1 gun. A PGCA letter may solve the grade and barrel length mystery. Is the stock fitted tightly at the front of the receiver? The gaps at the rear suggest that the stock needs some work before shooting.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Jim Haney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, Kurt & Bill,

Thanks so much for your replies and information.

The receiver is factory solid tight and I see what your concerns are about the 1/4" gap on the top view photo, however, it is as tight as can be. I didn't take a bottom picture but the receiver is solid against the stock underneath.

I found the serial number on the barrel as you said Chuck, so it is the original barrel. It has TWIST at the end of the logo in between the barrels after the Parker Bros. Meridian etc.

What is the average value of this gun? I would rate it below average or average because of the rust and pitting but it shoots and it is just an old original gun.

Thanks, Jim
Jim Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

Go to gunbroker. There are several low grade hammer guns on there right now. Some have a $400 starting bid with no reserve. You will get an idea of value when you see what they sell for.

Good Luck,
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Haney View Post
Chuck, Kurt & Bill,

Thanks so much for your replies and information.

The receiver is factory solid tight and I see what your concerns are about the 1/4" gap on the top view photo, however, it is as tight as can be. I didn't take a bottom picture but the receiver is solid against the stock underneath.

I found the serial number on the barrel as you said Chuck, so it is the original barrel. It has TWIST at the end of the logo in between the barrels after the Parker Bros. Meridian etc.

What is the average value of this gun? I would rate it below average or average because of the rust and pitting but it shoots and it is just an old original gun.

Thanks, Jim
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

I agree with Bill on the grade 1 suggestion. With minimal scroll engraving and no birds engraved on the lock plates and the bottom of the frame it would follow true to form of a grade 1 with Twist barrels as would have been produced as a P grade in the hammerless guns later on. If it has engraved birds I will agree with Chuck's suggestion.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I don't have the experience that Bill and Dean have however from what I have seen in the Parker Story, the engraving on the breech balls and hammers suggest a Grade 2. A clear close up of the sidelocks, underside of the receiver, and the checkering pattern of the forend would shed some additional information on this gun. There are surviving factory records so a letter may help.

On the picture of the receiver, looks like some pitting around the left firing pin hole. What is the condition of the barrels both inside and outside? Clean the inside of the barrels with some bore cleaner and a good stiff bronze brush to get a good idea of the pitting. With an unstruck barrel weight of 5lb, those barrels should have plenty of thickness.

Where are you located? I would find a local gunsmith who is familiar with vintage side by sides and get his opinion. It may be a good canidate for a restoration or you could shoot it as it is
Unread 09-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Looks like he's from Decatur, TN
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote