Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Retracting firing pins.
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Retracting firing pins.

I have a 12ga VH that I received back after having some stock refinishing work done. The firing pins are sticking out now and I don't recall it looking like this before. I can put the barrels on and then the forearm and close the gun but when I try and open the gun again the extractor hits the firing pins as they are not retracting.
Here are a couple of pictures of the receiver as it looks now.
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0763.jpg
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0762.jpg

I'm not sure what the tab/lever is called at the front of the water table that is sticking up now but I don't recall it sticking up like this before either.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm planning on taking this gun after some turkeys starting on Monday.
Thank you.
Bob
Bob Dombeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,421 Times in 12,424 Posts

Try closing the gun on a pair of snap caps and then trip the triggers. Upon opening the gun again the hammers should cock and unless you have non-rebounding hammers there should be no hang up.

That tab that is sticking up is in the correct position. It lifts the extractor as the gun is opened.

No amount of stock refinishing should have affected any of the mechanical operation.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks much Dean. I'll have to buy a set of snap caps as I don't have any but that's no problem. Hopefully that's all it needs!
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

You can use empty hulls with fired primers in place of snap caps.
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

I tried the empty hull deal and no luck. I put the shells in the barrels, put the barrels on the receiver, closed up the gun, put on the forerarm, pulled the trigger, nothing. I can see as I slowly close the barrels without the forearm in place that the pins don't retract at all.
I don't recall that little lever(?) on the front of the water table sticking up like it is now. Shouldn't that be lying flat with the barrels off of the gun?, maybe not?
I know the stock was removed from the gun for refinishing so I'm hoping something isn't wrong there. I don't think it's assembled wrong in any way as he seemed very comfortable with the disassembly/assembly.
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

look at the cocking lever on the barrel...if it is worn to much it will not let the hammers cock...this same thing happened to me...i shot the gun cleaned it up and would not fire...took it apart ..just forearm and barrel off...discovered the cocking hook was worn i took a piece of paper card board like on a cracker box etc made a small shim out of it put it on the cocking hook replaced barrels on gun put on the forearm...im turkey hunting with it rite now..ive probably shot a box or more through it and its still shooting...this is not a permant fix but will get you ready for turkey season...hope this is your problem and i bet it is... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,668 Times in 3,138 Posts

was the stock removed when it was refinished? If so, it may not have been put back together correctly and is not cocking the hammers.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Quack me up!
PGCA Member

Member Info

The stock was removed but I don't think that is the problem as he seemed comfortable with the disassembly process. I don't think the cocking hook would go bad all of the sudden as it has never acted up in any way previously.
So that lever on the front of the water table is supposed to be sticking up like it is in the pictures as I don't recall it looking like that before?
Any other ideas?
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,740 Times in 4,645 Posts

Yes, the lever on the front of the action is the lifter for the extractor. All parkers have this and the part does not move. If the hammers/pins are not retracting back after about 1/4inch of opening the breech, then the cocking hook is not engaging with the cam. By the look of your photos, it appears that the cam is in the right position.
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Maybe he put the cocking slide back in upside down

*only rookies do that*