Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

JOSTAM pad
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,451 Posts

Default JOSTAM pad

During my gun trading last week I picked up a Ithaca SBT 6E. ( Unfortunately with a cut down barrel). The gun is in excellent condition otherwise. It had a modern adjustable trap pad which I immediately removed. The butt is uncut and it appears to have about 50 small nail holes in it. I have two original Jostam foam rubber pads. I am thinking that I would like to install one of these as it appears it may have been a Jostam pad that was installed earlier in its life. Just looking for thoughts about going with the Jostam pad, or possible an original Silvers. I am also looking for advise on how to install a Jostam pad. What glue do you use, and do you put down glue on the butt before nailing?
I am also looking for thoughts about the possibility of monoblocking the barrel. Would there be any possibility of finding a replacement rib or having a new rib made, or a piece of rib added.
Thanks for any advice, and opinions.
Phillip Carr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,948 Times in 4,792 Posts

A couple of questions. Have you removed the base plate and nails yet? If not, you can leave it in place and glue another foam base pad to the red base. If the base is not there, I would install a pad without nails. It is unlikely that the nail base Jostam was original to the gun. What is the serial number of your gun? Is it a Knick or a Flues? If it is a Flues, what variation? I would go with the barrel from another gun rather than a sleeve job. A perfectly usable Flues can be bought very inexpensively and the barrel salvaged. I believe I have a rough Knick barrel floating around here someplace. It needs work, but it isn't cut off.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Phil, that might be a great way to put your old gun back to work if the barrel doesn't work for you now and if economical.

I know that Simmons Gun Specialities in Olathe KS has been known for barrel monobloc sleeving. I saw them making ribs that look right to me, so maybe they could make you a full length rib. Simmons is under new management , 913 782 3131. They have done a lot of monobloc barrels for Browning Superposed guns.

Good luck with your project. I called Lloyds Saddlery this morning and placed an order for a hand tooled lace on butt pad. I have a nice old H H Heiser VLA fully tooled holster for a Colt SAA and love the oak leaf carving, and they can do that on a lace on pad for one of my old beater Parkers . Thanks for the heads up.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Bill the gun is an early Flues S/N 264149. It is the first variation I believe with the wedge bolting. What a great gun, I will post some pictures when it returns with the pad. As far as the pad, the nailed on rubber piece had previously been removed. If I did not nail the new rubber piece back on the butt, would you glue the pad to the thin pad and then glue the assembly to the butt?
Now for the barrels If you are intreasted in selling the Knick barrels and I could salvage them for this project I would be intreasted in discussing with you. Also if anyone knows where I can locate a 34" barrel for a flues SBT I would appreciate the information.

Bruce, I will also call Simmons and see what they have to offer. Great to also hear you have a lace on pad being made. I will look forward to checking on the progress. It looks like several members have placed an order for a few items. Nice to see that there are others that appreciate the fine workmanship still avalible for a few more years being turned out by some of the last true American Saddle makers.
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I spoke to the Gunsmith doing the pad last night. We agreed to go with just gluing the pad on. The nails look like a problem waiting to happen. I will be calling Simmons this morning on the way to work to see what they might have to offer as a solution. I think finding an early Flues at a reasonable price would be the best option as Bill has suggested
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I agree. The Knick barrel is nothing like a Flues barrel. Have you checked with Walt Snyder to see if he has factory records on this gun? In the early days of the Cutts Compensator, Colonel Cutts ordered some single traps to experiment with his compensator. Some were ordered to have the compensator installed at the factory, some were ordered with short barrels and the Colonel would install the compensator. It is assumed that he ordered some with standard length barrels also. If Walt can provenance your gun to Colonel Cutts, that may explain the cut barrel.
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I did contact Walt and he provided some key information. The barrels were originally 34" and the pad was a Silvers. Looks like I will get a Silvers on order from Galazan. Also for $50.00 I will get a letter cqan hardly wait to see what other information I can gather. I also called Simmons today and spoke with Larry. They can build me a barrel for $1800.00. That said I will still try to look for a replacement barrel first. I also spoke to him about a 410 LC Smith I got in the same trade. The gun is in the white and will need to be completed. 28" ejector barrels. It is being shipped to me and I should have next week.
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Let us know what Walt has to say about the original purchaser and I will try to provide information on him. Could you do some pictures?
Unread 03-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I will post some pictures as well as the letter as soon as the letter comes in. I put a check in the mail this morning to Walt. I will start a search for an early model Flues barrel or gun I can salvage a barrel from. Any leads are appreciated.
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Walt should be able to help you find a donor gun to provide you with a barrel. There are variations of Flues barrels but Walt knows which is which.