Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 08-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #31
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,946 Times in 1,437 Posts

Im going down today to take a few pictures and measure the choke restriction. 16 more days and i can bring it home.

Last edited by Phillip Carr; 08-27-2016 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Misspell
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #32
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
Im going down today to take a few pictures and measure the choke restriction. 16 more days and i can bring it home.
not anxious are we
Unread 08-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #33
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rick might be obsessing just a little bit LOL. Keep thinking I could be cleaning the bores, checking out screws, it does have a little cracking in the wrist area I want to look at closer, etc. I was so excited about finding it I didn't look at it as close as I might have on other guns.

Now to start researching the area in Nebraska it came out of and the names associated with this Parker as listed on the letter.

I plan to bring it to Vegas in January
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #34
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

I read a chapter that included information on frame sizes in The Parker Story. In it it stated that only one hammer gun 10 gauge was ever produced. Could that possibly be correct? Would like additional thoughts on the gun being patterned with 8 shot and 3 inch chambers.
Might it been used on Prairie chickens? Pheasants were not well established. I think in 1890 passenger pigeons were already well on the way to extinction I believe. As stated Sandhills cranes are a possibility although I have leaned towards # 4 shot when I hunt them down here. What shot did market hunters lean towards for ducks?

I don't have access to ancestry.com does anyone have an account that they could look at and see if Weber or Hawley as lists on the research letter might have any data on them? Or if you have any thoughts on where I might find information it would be great.
Unread 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #35
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
I read a chapter that included information on frame sizes in The Parker Story. In it it stated that only one hammer gun 10 gauge was ever produced. Could that possibly be correct? Would like additional thoughts on the gun being patterned with 8 shot and 3 inch chambers.
Might it been used on Prairie chickens? Pheasants were not well established. I think in 1890 passenger pigeons were already well on the way to extinction I believe. As stated Sandhills cranes are a possibility although I have leaned towards # 4 shot when I hunt them down here. What shot did market hunters lean towards for ducks?

I don't have access to ancestry.com does anyone have an account that they could look at and see if Weber or Hawley as lists on the research letter might have any data on them? Or if you have any thoughts on where I might find information it would be great.

"In it it stated that only one hammer gun 10 gauge was ever produced. Could that possibly be correct?" i think something is missing in this statement - since i have more than one hammer ten

and try searching the link in here - its at least worth a try

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19661
Unread 08-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #36
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oops !!! ��I meant to add on a 5 frame.
Unread 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #37
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

I would start at your city library looking at US and state census records and newspapers from the town these guys lived in. I know if you buy the Ancestry.Com package you get census info, at least you used to.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #38
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Chuck I will probably get a subscription. I have several guns it might help me get information on.