Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums Website & Forum - Help & Assistance

Notices

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Geoff Clark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just curious- in looking at pictures of other VH guns about the same age as mine, the trigger guards seem to only have one screw into the stock while mine has two. They also seem to all have the serial number engraved on the trigger guard strap while mine does not.

Any ideas on why my trigger guard has two screws and no serial number?
geoff clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Google Darlington Gun Works in South Carolina. I haven't had them do work for me but many on this forum have and highly recommend them. They should be pretty close to Alabama.
I would second Chuck. Darlington Gun Works is located near I-95 and does excellant work. Jim Kelly is the owner and gunsmith. Their phone number is
(843) 393-3931.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

It's not the first one to have two screws placed in them by a jack of all trades. Probably the original screw (closest to the triggers) could not be tightened, the wood having been stripped out, or number two it could not be tightened due to a split inside down the middle of the stock. Instead of fixing it, they get out grandpa's drill and place another hole right in the serial number with a second screw. At least if it was a split inside down the middle they did not place a bolt through the stock head also. I've got one with two screws like that I'm fixing now with a another trigger guard and another where they driled the original hole even bigger and put a monster next size screw in it.

It usually only occurs to them how to fix it after the damage was done and then someone tells them to fix the stock and then they won't need a second screw. But in 1950, who cared?
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Coach
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Go back to your local gunsmith and see if he has any parts "left over" following his work. An easy piece to leave out which would account for the gun not cocking is the cocking slide - #13 on the parts list you can view by going to the home page of this site and selecting Technical Information from the menu on the left.
Carl Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

And it would be easy to tell if the cocking slide was left out because when you opened the action, the lever would not stay to the right, since the trip/pin/spring slide into the little dimple on the cocking slide and without pressure from the cocking slide the three parts would just be dropped down into the action.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Geoff Clark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all the help. The lever does stay to the right when I open the breech. I assume this means the cocking slide is in there.

It is interesting that I can see no trace of the serial number on the trigger guard. I guess it must have been buffed away when the extra screw was added?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (284.5 KB, 2 views)
geoff clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,390 Times in 3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff clark View Post
Thanks for all the help. The lever does stay to the right when I open the breech. I assume this means the cocking slide is in there.
Not necessarily Geoff. The two aren't connected. It just means that the lever latching pin is in there, that, when depressed, releases the top lever.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Edgar, Not to argue the point, but even if you flipped the gun upside down and got the trip to hold the lever open one time, once it was closed the trip /spring/pin would just fall into the action since it rides on the slide. See the little indentation on the slide? That's where the pin seats when opened. And the slide is what keeps the upward pressure on the three parts. We just fixed one where someone flattened the pin and took a file to the trip where the barrel lug presses down to release the trip. Could not find new parts so it works only so well now. That is why one should hold the lever when closing and then release to reduce the wear on these unavailable small parts. Not the best design. Just my observations and if I am wrong please let me know here in a cold goose blind by myself.
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was revering to part 20, which is the lever latch.
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Damn touchscreen keyboard.