Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Possible changes to New Hampshire's Great North Woods
Unread 10-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #1
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Default Possible changes to New Hampshire's Great North Woods

For those of you that enjoy traveling to my home State of New Hampshire and enjoying all the recreation that our Great North Woods area offers you should be aware of a possible change to the way the woods there are managed, and it is not positive. I have included a link to a news story which sums up the issues. Back in 2001 when I was a member of the NH Fish and Game Commission I was involved in the long term, so we thought, solution to the protection of this 175K acre tract of land. This agreement was to keep it open to all forms of recreation and logging, to the benefit of all. This may change and will have a devastating effect on the area.

https://indepthnh.org/2023/08/04/pit...is-not-logged/
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

I’m not surprised at this. It’s similar to the vast wind farms out here that eat up land, kill birds and cost so much to carry electricity to population centers that wouldn’t stand for a wind farm near them. I’m also intrigued that some carbon credits could not be sold on logged land that will grow back into trees. I’m sure “environmental politics” is at play here to the detriment of the health of the forest and its wildlife.

I hope biodiversity wins out over enabling bad practices to be perpetuated.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #3
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

Logging means periodic renewal of a forest, thereby ensuring healthy quantities and varieties of wildlife.

Unharvested mature trees create a canopy that prevents sunlight from nurturing the "understory", which is the habitat so vitally needed to allow large and small game to thrive.

I hope that an enlightened policy will prevail for the Pittsburgh, New Hampshire, North Woods area.
Unread 10-12-2023, 10:14 PM   #4
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,215 Times in 896 Posts

Another huge consequence of this for hunters may be the road system. Our deal in 2001 signed the state on to maintain the road network, not small issue. If the logging ceases or is severely curtailed then the state most likely will stop road maintenance, which will have a huge negative effect on hunters and camp owners.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

More "green energy" nonsense. Follow the $$.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!