Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grouse Opener
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Grouse Opener

Grouse season began Saturday and needless to say it was a bittersweet opener with the loss of Gunner. I spent the weekend with a friend at his cabin near Grayling, MI which is 90 muineutes north of me. Dave lost a dog to a trajic accident a year or so ago and his son Josh just had his dog rufus up and die on him a couple of months ago. They have very good English Setters.

We got a little later start on Saturday morning then what we planned on as we indulged heavily the night befor in the adult beverage department toasting our friends that were no longer with us, telling stories about first points, great retrieves and our excellent shooting abilities.

Early Grouse hunting is usually only a morning affair as it warms up quickly. Saturday would be no exception as it was in the low 50's at 9am. Dave carried a new to him Parker VHE 16 that I had found for him and I of course had Gunner's Gun. We had two Setters with us Ella 4 and Gracie 2. We hadn't gone 50 yards when a Grouse busted from a tree, Dave let loose a round but missed. I think a Grouse coming out of a tree is the toughest shot in the uplands. We hadn't gone much further when both dogs locked up. Dave came in from one side I came from the other. A covey busted and didn't afford me a shot but Dave got off one. Gracie and Ella made retrieves! Yup two Grouse on the wing with one shot! If I hadn't been there I'd never believed it.

We worked that cover for about 30 minuets when Ella locked up again and Gracie honored. As I approached the point the bird busted, I saw it clear the tree and Gunner's Parker was up and ready. The bird banked left and I touched the right barrel and the load of 8's from a RST 2 1/2 paper shell connected. The first shot with Gunner's gun in the uplands has downed a Grouse. Gracie brought the prize to Dave and as he handed it to me the emotions were welling up. He shook my hand and put the bird in my vest with the "now don't cry on me" and patted me on the back and turned away. As we moved on a tear rolled down my cheek and I'm sure I heard a congratulatory bark from the heavens. My weekend was completed right there and I could called it good with no regrets as far as the hunting was concerned. By 11:30 it was nearing 70 and while there were a couple of flushes no shots were afforded.

Sunday provided a cool morning but the forcast was for low 80's. We got a much earlier start than Saturday but had one wild flush and by 10am it was getting hot. The ferns are almost 6ft high and there was no breeze and the dogs paid the price so we called it a successfull opener and headed back to camp.

As I packed to go north I was needless to say somewhat out of sorts and forgot a couple of key items like my camera. I was going to bring the bird home and photograph it with Gunner's Gun but when we got back on Saturday but by the time I watered the dogs and grabed a couple of cold beers Dave had the birds cleaned. I have included a couple of pics with what I have. The fan is on Gunner's grave next to his stone.

He is missed terribly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gunner's gun first Grouse 001.jpg (360.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Gunner's gun first Grouse 002.jpg (525.0 KB, 9 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,236 Times in 12,377 Posts

Sounds like a great opening weekend Rich - and I know there is only one thing you would change... if you only could.

That "Gunner's Gun" is sure to be your 'go to' upland bird gun from here on out.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean if you only knew how many times I stopped and looked at his portrait you would wonder how I ever got any hunting done. Gunner's Gun will definetly see plenty of action. Besides it's firt Grouse it got it's first little kiss in the stock, a small dent from a tree or something. Another remembrence I'll cherish.
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Great story and a great weekend Rich. Thanks for the call yesterday....hang in there it only gets better from here.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Edited.

Last edited by Dean Romig; 09-16-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Originally written in "poor form" - re-thought and removed.
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Like Dave says, thanks for the call yesterday. I guess the spirit of Gunner is now alive and well, embodied in his gun. Too bad Dave is'nt a PGCA member. A one shot double on grouse is a once in a lifetime event.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

The RGS has a Doubles Club and a pin to go with it. It was initiated by RGS at about the same time the PGCA Doubles Club was initiated - both were the brainchild of our former President Art Wheaton.
Unread 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good on you Richard!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

It came to me
that every time
I lose a dog
they take a piece
of my heart with them,
and every new dog
who comes into my life
gives me a piece
of their heart.
If I live long enough
all the components
of my heart
will be dog, and
I will become
as generous and
loving as they are.
-Anonymous-
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greg, after we came home from the vet my wife said Gunner had left me something on the counter. She had bought a plaque with that saying on it and on the back was a note saying "Im sorry this day had to come but I will always be with you" love Gunner. it made me cry all over again and still brings tears. It hangs in the gun room.