Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Waterfowl loads and barrel config.
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,541 Times in 4,621 Posts

Default Waterfowl loads and barrel config.

I know this might be a loaded question, but, I am just starting to think about getting into waterfowl hunting (going to start with Geese). And I want to see what all of you more experienced folks thoughts are on nontoxic loads in old guns. In regards to chokes and chamber lengths. What is good for different types of loads.

I know they say to not put steel through full chokes. Other than the chokes, is there really any concern about putting steel through an older barrel that is choked more open? Some say it can damage the bores.

I went looking for some of the old bismuth shot as an alternative to put through a full choked flues that I have. The few local places I could find that had some old boxes, they were all 3". Was looking for 2-3/4".

Or is hand loading the best way to go in these old guns?
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Reloading is the way to go for old gun IMO. Allows me economically load stuff like 2 7/8" 10ga. Allows me to control shot weight, velocity and pressure, love the 7/8 of 8's at trap. It also allows me to reload stuff like bismuth which cna be bought in bulk at Precision reloading. RST shells are great but I'd go broke shooting them in the volume that I do in reloads.

I have never shot steel out of any Parker and very little out of any doublegun. I did shoot some 3" 20ga steel out of a Miroku Charles Daly O/U in the 90's with no ill effects.

Come to think of it I have a 12ga Trojan with 28" with .006 and .011 I don't think 2 3/4 inch steel in #2 or less would hurt it.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Brian,

I get asked this question a lot, and unless you reload it's an expensive answer. The RST stuff is great and so is Kent TM but both are expensive to use in volume. I like #5 for ducks out of a full choke and #3 for geese out of the same.

The new Fiocchi (spelling?) Tundra shells should be double gun friendly but I don't know anybody who's tried them. The Heavy Shot Classic Doubles is obviously double gun friendly for sure, but by all reports doesn't seem to have much punch. A friend tried it out of a 20 gauge Model 11 Remington and it didn't even have enough oompah to work the action.

If you can find new old stock bismuth it's ok....

I never was a big fan of it to tell the truth, it was loaded sporadically to say the least. You'd shoot one shell and it would kick your head off then the next one would seem normal. That was kinda scary to say the least. The magnum 10 gauge stuff is so hot it will make your gun open up. I've had it happen to me with a Parker and seen it happen to Kaas when shooting his big Ithaca.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Hammer Fan
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't know if this is the kind of info you are looking for, but I load up bismuth in my 10 ga. It's a #3 frame hammer gun with full/full chokes and .793 bores. 2 7/8" chambers. In brass hulls I load 4 1/2 drams of FFFg Goex, one 1/8" nitro card, one 1/4" dry felt wad, one 1/4" lubed felt wad, 1 1/2 oz of buffered bismuth shot. All wads are 9 ga. At 40 yards I pattern 81% out of both barrels with this load.

I've never had this load chronographed, but going by some of Sherman Bells' tested loads that are similar, mine is probably in the 1300 fps range. All I know is that it consistently kills ducks cleanly out to 50 yards with #4 shot.
Forrest Grilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

I finally got to try out the 12 ga ITX 2.75" #4's that I got from New Era just after the waterfowl season closed last winter. We were shooting 'resident' Canada geese over a v-board rig on one of the Potomac's tidal bays. Any how, I was not shooting a Parker as I wanted to see how my long awaited heavy A.H. Fox A grade with 30" bbls choked M/F performed after having undergone some choke and chamber mods for regular waterfowling. I cleanly killed a goose at about 30 yds on a nice crossing shot. I was not considering longer shots as this load is on the lighter side for geese but really think the stuff performs well and is completely compatible with a full choke. I don't recall the pressure New Era was loading to but as I recall it is acceptable for vintage guns. The one complaint would be that it is a very dirty load but gotta clean the gun any way. I'm looking forward to trying out on ducks in less than a month.

-Jerry
Jerry McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have not tried reloading any non-steel non-toxic shot. When I subject a Parker to field goose hunting I use RST Nice shot #2s. Wait until they have their flaps and gear down, trays and seats in the full upright position, flair to land and are engaging reverse thrust and you will be just fine. It will wreck them.

I have (and do) use steel thru an old Win Model 12 Heavy Duck Gun. Also Hevi-shot which is hard as hell and always to no ill effect. The gun is no longer a collector item and like Parkers it was built to last and to use. Neither the shells nor the gun is a go to item for me but the combination works well. A new in box, hang tag 12 maybe not (sell it for Parker $$).

Avoid Tundra. It is no better than the Kent waterfowl Tungsten load. It is a big buck item. They are priced in 5 round boxes. Kents come in 10 per box and are generally cheaper for 10 than Tundra for 5.

If you wanna hunt waterfowl w/ a Parker, bite the bullet, buy good RST or Kent soft no-tox and be selective in your shooting. Every duck and goose out there is worth at least 1 shot if it is well within range. $4.00 gas makes the hunt far more expensive than all the ammo you can reasonably carry in. The memories in April and June are priceless.

Jeff
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Well said Jeff.

I've not looked into the Tundra prices. When it was first advertised it was supposedly going to be cheaper than anything like it that was currently on the market. Guess not.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote