Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Info Needed-My First Parker-12ga Hammer
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Matt Michael
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Info Needed-My First Parker-12ga Hammer

Just purchased my Parker. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.
I have attached some photos. I cant seem to find a grade mark. There is a "T" and a number "3" on the bottom of the barrel. How would I tell what the the what the choke is on the barrels?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452[1].JPG (276.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0453[1].JPG (205.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0454[1].JPG (179.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0456[1].JPG (195.8 KB, 1 views)
Matt Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Hi Matt - Welcome!

Looks to be a grade 0 but the photos are pretty fuzzy so we can't really see and of the critical detail.

The T within the upper and lower crescents is the stamp for Twist Steel barrels.
The 3 indicates that the pre-struck barrel weight was 3 lbs., and 14 oz. as indicated by the superscript 14 to the right of the 3.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

It should be a 12ga, capped pistol grip, with 28" barrels. Measure the barrel length to see if they've been cut. The only way to determine choke is to measure them with a bore micrometer.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Matt Michael
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry about the fuzzy photos, i took them with my ipod.
I will measure the ID of the barrels tonight. I paid $ 500 for it. Do you think i paid too much? There is no cracks in the stock but there is some minor pitting in the barrels. I would like to shoot the gun a few times. Can anyone tell me what type of shells i should use in this old gun since it has twist barrels?
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,421 Posts

Matt,

We get these questions all the time. With the limited photo's it looks like a nice 0 grade Parker. These old guns are only as good as their barrels. If the barrels aren't safe, the gun is not shootable. If they are in good condition, then you paid a very good price assuming the rest of the gun functions properly.

Some questions you can answer:

1. With the barrels off, suspend the barrels at the lug with your finger and tap each barrel the entire length. They should ring like a bell the entire length. If not, the ribs could be loose.

2. With the gun assembled, twist the barrels sideways and up and down to see if there is any looseness between the barrels and the receiver.

3. Do the same as above but this time with the forend off. Any looseness?

4. The only way to be reasonably assured that the gun is safe is to have a gunsmith familiar with vintage barrels take a look at the barrels. He'll be able to measure the wall thickness and examine the pits. If he says they are OK, then it's up to you to take the responsibility of shooting it.

5. Take the barrels off and look at the rear lug (closest to the extractor.) There should be a number stamped on the bottom of the lug. What's the number? It will probably be a 1 or 2 but more likely a 1 with a barrel weight of 3 14.

There are many shell manufactures who make vintage shells with low pressure available notably RST. If you decide to shoot the gun, I'd recommend shooting 7/8oz or 1oz shells. Recoil will be less on the old girl and you too.

If you reload, there are many recipies available. Try and keep your PSI below 8,000.

Good luck
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Matt Michael
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey I posted a new thread with better photos. Doesnt seem to be any looseness and the barrels ring. Yes there was a number 1 on the bottom lug. Does the new photos shed any new light on the gun? What do you think is a good value?