Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Need all the info I can get!
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
jlosbourne
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Need all the info I can get!

E.D Parker double barrel with hammer, serial # reveals 1881 as year of manufacture. Grade G with overall barrel length of 23 3/4 inches. Forearm serial number does not match the numbers on the receiver and barrel which do match. Should it be the same on the forearm? The top of the barrel rib has an inscription that partially reads 'E. D. Parker London ___________'. We can not make out the next word or words. Possibly 'Fine_ _mas_ _'. The over all condition of the gun is good. It does not have Damascus barrels. Attached is a photo of the numbers and symbols on the barrels. What do these mean? I hope someone can me out here! Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3278.jpg (513.2 KB, 7 views)
jlosbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

This is not a Parker Bros./Meriden CT shotgun. It is an English gun made as a knockoff and sold to the trade.Sorry..
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Most of the markings are English proof marks significating that the gun would withstand being shot. Google English Proof Marks and you'll get a directory of what they mean. It's probably an English gun, not a Parker Bros Parker. The barrels probably are damascus, just well worn (or someone has blued over them).
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
jlosbourne
Forum Associate

Member Info

If this gun weren't an E. D. Parker, why does it have a matching serial # on the Parker website?

When you say 'cutoff barrels', do you mean that literally? They aren't cutoff, they are made this way??
Unread 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
jlosbourne
Forum Associate

Member Info

I did not mean to come across as sounding not nice. I am asking because I do want the info and I am not messing with anyone......promise!!!
Unread 08-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Mr. jlosbourne,

The gentlemen who responded to your original post have been collecting and shooting shotguns (made by Parker Bros. in Meriden, CT and later, Parker shotguns by Remington in Ilion, NY) for many years and do indeed know their Parker shotguns. Yours is, as has been stated, not one of the Parkers made in America. Yours was made in Britain or Belgium and was likely shipped here (in numbers) in the hope that the importer could capitalize on the good name of Parker Bros. The fact that the serial number appears in the "Serialization Book" is nothing more than coincidence. I could make up a five or six digit number and in all likelihood that number might also appear in the book. Yours might be in nice condition but you would be advised not to attempt to shoot it without first having a qualified gunsmith, extremely well versed in old European doubles, examine it for safe shooting.
Enjoy it for what it is but know it is not a Parker Bros. shotgun - the object of our affection.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
jlosbourne
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you for your kind response! Would you have any idea's about the value of the gun I have?
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Here is one http://www.gundersonmilitaria.com/sh...nglandGmG.html for $275. That may be a bit high for the condition IMHO.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post: