Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 07-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
David Yeatts
PGCA Member

Member Info

Now I have gun envy, one of these day my budget and eight will come together in the same place. Not surprised you only had 3 takers (might had something to do with the ground shaking when you fired it). In my 10 I load 3.5 drams (holy black) and 1 1/4oz of shot. The advantage is on a still day after firing spotters can't is what you did. Enjoy your guns and if you ever get to Virginia give me a shout and we can bust some cap together.

Turnin Fool
Aka Dave
David Yeatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Cowboy BP 8 & 10 loads
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Cowboy BP 8 & 10 loads

Dave,
HA! I bow to the BP purist! Frontiersman, eh!?!
Would that I can again visit your state. Have fond memories, a bit dim now with age. I was 11, last time. Have you made your pilgrimage to EOT yet, or how far West have you traveled?

Anyway. I placed my Fate in the hands of the Gods as I worked up my loads. I know there are smiths around here, but none I've worked with yet. After talking with a few compatriots and studying the Forums, I run the conservative following:

The 10 is 1 3/8 square, Federal hull, 1 fiber wad plus the overs and unders, roll crimped. Gives me about 93 grains by weight of 2F Goex. That's about your 3 1/2 dram if I figure it right.

The 8 is 1 5/8 square, Remington industrial, 1 1/2 fiber plus overs and unders. 'Tis a heavy hull, slight roll crimp, wouldn't dare try a star crimp. Gives me about 112 grains by weight of 2F Goex. So its not quite the ground shaker you and my fellow club members imagined. My math figures I could add another 50 grs. to be exciting!! I'm using 7.5's, SASS allows #4's right!!

Chrono'd both, and they are running 1080 FPS. The 8 being a 7 frame, has a side wall thickness of .277. Me thinks that would handle a mild load. No doubt Brad will give me insight. The 10 bores are so clean on a 3 frame (no pitting) I ran with that too. I have lots of room to add powder and shot!! In the Forum info, I should maybe look into patterns and the like. The Full chokes, may be stripping off the wads to avoid any holes.

If the 10 is the 'Mighty 10' what's the '8'??

Burnin' daylight,
DD
Ron Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
David Yeatts
PGCA Member

Member Info

dd
The 8 is AwwwwSum!!!!!
Not been to EOD. Have been to Mule Camp and the Northeast regional. Never placed but have a great time.
Your loads look fine, I'm running in the 1100's now. Working on a load for 1 1/8 oz. There is a BP match the Vintagers that has that shot limit. The Vintagers is like EOT for those who love the fine old doubles. Put it on the bucket list, well worth the trip.
Always remember there is nothing like the smell of Black Powder in the morning.
Dave
David Yeatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

Dutch, I noticed you have Nevada as your location. What part of Nevada are you from? I live in Logandale, just an hour North of Las Vegas.
todd allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Todd,
We be an hour south of Reno. Are you SASS shooter, wing shooter or collector?
Or better yet, all of the above.
DD
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

I have a modest collection, am a wingshooter, and sporting clays shooter. I have never done SASS, but have all the guns, including an 1898 SAA .45 Colt.
Oh, and two German Shorthairs.
todd allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well don't let those old guns go idle. But with Two Shorthairs, I don't think idle is a problem. Will be down in your neck of the woo, er, desert, for Eldorado, the NV state championship come Sept. Find the local clubs on SASSnet.com, about us, affiliated clubs - to infill any of that free time. Ha!
Enjoy the dogs.
Best, DD