Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Dad's girl,
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Default Dad's girl,

Had a wonderful morning with him today ,she's been wanting to go for some time but track meet's and life, and everything else got in the way .

At 7:30 we hit the local coffee shop for a quick,breakfast and by 8:15 we're unloading the car and loading the gun,it's beautiful here this morning ,the leave's are just starting to turn,the air is crisp, the old dog is whining and Dad's girl has more question's than I can answer .....

"Why is Heiko so excited Dad?" ,
"What make's the leave's turn ?",
"Can I come with you this time when you shoot?"
"If we get one,can you show me how to clean it for Mom ?"
"Don't worry if you shoot and we can't find it,the fox's n stuff will get to eat it and that's a good thing "

Yeah, she's 10 going on 40!

Not 50 yard's in Heiko strike's scent, his bell slow's and he's on point ! we both move in to an awful tangle,and the grouse blow's out as he's often apt to do .I loose the right barrel of the 16 with no luck ,the dog hold's steady and I release him only to have him creep another twenty feet to an awkward point where his head is moving ever so slightly side to side...I move in ,and the bugger blow's out of a branch two feet above my head.

My girl giggle's and squeal's at the whir of grouse wing's .
"Fun, is'nt it ?" I say "Sure is Dad. " she reply's

In no more time than it take's us to reach the edge of the trail he's on scent again and the point this time is an abrupt holy #@$% he's right here !!! sort of thing,the young bird blow's out next to a little brook and don't get the chance to clear the tree top's before the load of 7 1/2 's bring's him down in a shower of feather's....We're all pretty excited about this one,and she's seen it all fold out this time .After a mannerly retrieve by the old dog a photo for the album soon follow's.

We hunt this area for a short time more with a couple more start's but no opportunity's .So it's off to a cover I used to hunt year's ago ,a very productive spot but when we arrive it's unfortunately all posted .The conversation now turn's to why we can't hunt on the land ,

she say's "Well ,it's so far away ,and no one else is around so maybe we can"

I reply "Well,maybe the reason why it's posted is probably because some person decided that same thing ,and hunted there in spite of the sign,got caught and was very rude to the owner,so he decided all hunter's were alike and posted his property."

"Well,we're not like that Dad"

"No I say's,so when we get home we'll contact the town and try and find out who own's the property,write a nice letter to tell him who we are ,and what we would like to do and see where it go's "

"Good idea Dad "

The morning round's out with a trip to another cover,this one has seen the worst of our recent hurricane,with windfall's everywhere...but she make nary a whimper,we encounter a solitary bird who offer's three point's and zero shot opportunity.I point to a distant ridge across the valley and tell her it's my favorite to shoot,she want's to go next week she say's ,and tell's me she would like to wear the hunting coat like mine (an old men's size small Duxback I found at a flea market ,year's before I had kid's...y'now ,just in case )

" Sure thing dolly,I cant wait "(Parker PH 16 28 inch twist)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1259.jpg (560.5 KB, 3 views)
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Now that's a day to remember
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Great story Chris. It's wonderful that your daughter has an interest in the outdoors. My son and grandson are diehard hunters and this year my 13 year old grandaughter is asking to go out deer hunting with us. She sees how much my wife enjoys it and wants to give it a try. What area of the country are you in? Your description of the leaves and hurricane damage sound very much like here in the Northeast.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Another great story worthy of Parker Pages. You might want to submit it to Dean?

I always enjoy reading about kids hunting and your writing does a great job of it! I wish I had more of those memories, when I could go hunting with my kids. I have a few memories but mostly my boys were to busy with whatever it was they were into back then to take time to tag along with me. You are a lucky man.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

How awesome is that?? You're lucky to have a daughter that has an interest in your hobbies and hunting activities...it would be a pleasure for me to be able to teach a youngster about our favorite pastimes and above all, sportsmanship, humility, and conservation.

Cherish these times my friend!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron belanger For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

Chris is in Newfoundland,
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Thank's fella's it was a great day and we'll have more !!!, Mr Carmichael nailed it...I'm in Newfoundland ,where I've got the grouse hunting over a pointing dog pretty much to myself,and the bird's are looking good this year.
So with any luck I'll have more photo's next time.

Here's another couple from the opener,the dog and myself put up seven ,but only three shot's offered and only one came down.The gun is a VH 16 on an "o" frame
IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1228.jpg
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Thanks Gary,
I've bowhunted moose and woodland caribou in Newfoundland. Grouse seemed to be quite abundant when we were there. Chris is very lucky to live in such a beautiful place.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Beautiful dog Chris. Is he a Griffon or a GWP?
Oh, and yeah, Cute kid you have there too!
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Nice!
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: