Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

First offering, first Parker
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default First offering, first Parker

Greetings all,

It's taken me a while to get around to attempting to photo my first Parker. Purchased at the 'Big Reno' gun show, now near two years ago. My mentor, Deadeye Dick SASS #702 always picked out the Parkers as he puroosed (sp?) the gun shows. So when I saw this Parker hammer double, with near perfect bores for it's age I couldn't pass it by.

I then started to research the Parker Club for info, can't tell you all how pleased i was for the insight offered on all the different forums. At the acquisition of my second (more on that one later) I joined the Club and sent the info in for whatever history might be offered.

This double was born in 1883, 10 gauge, Quality 2, Damascus steel 32" barrels. Full chokes, 9 lb 8 oz shot gun for $85. Dare I say I paid a bit more for it!! Ordered through Read & Sons, Boston, for a Dr. Hopwood. Aren't web searches grand! Found the family, Civil War history and all. I believe a surviving family member may live in Florida. Wasn't until I took the photos, that I noticed 'GBH' etched in the stock by the trigger guard.

Thank you all for your time and efforts to keep the Parker history alive and documented.

Sincerely,
Dutch Dalton
SASS 44089
aka Ron Mueller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (490.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.jpg (500.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.jpg (490.9 KB, 7 views)
Ron Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
David Yeatts
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dutch
Nice looking gun should be right at home on the stage or the trap range (what is yours choked). My lifter is also a grade 2 32" lt F-ex F, so on the poppers it makes dust and lots of smoke. Understand you also have a lifter, what are the specs on that gun? It great to know the history behind these old gun and I envy you knowing so much about yours.
Shoot'em clean
Turnin Fool
Aka Dave
David Yeatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Turnin' Fool,

Thanks for the come back. The 10 is F & F for chokes. One of our local clubs tends to shoot the older SASS style, so the style points roll in for anything of larger caliber (that's where I use it, on their annual). They do still tend to set the KD's a little close though. Can't see through the smoke to see the dust. Haven't figured out the aim point for a field gun for the poppers/birds.

Now the other, which I still have to take pics of, is also a top lever.

Umm, 'tis an 8. Also born 1883. What luck!! Have you seen the movie Appaloosa? Bought the 10, figured that was luck, saw the movie and said why not. So I did a web search and found one in Boise. It was still there when I went to the Idaho State champ. six weeks later, August 2010. F & F chokes, 34" barrels for a 13 lb gun.

Loaded up some BP and set the popper out 20 yards to test it, nooo problamo, still need to work on the P of A for the bird!

Yeehaaaa,

DD
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

What is the provenance on your second gun?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,

If I understand 'provenance', that would be history?

Ordered 12/1882, shipped 5/1883 by/to E.C. Meachum Arms, St. Louis, MO.
8 gauge, Quality 1 hammer, Laminated steel (not marked), 34". F X F chokes. To achieve the 13 lb. specification, 'tis a 7 frame. Ended up a few ozs. over
13 lbs. Ordered w/rubber butt. No specs on stock length.

Appears to have had a faire amount of field use, bores were neglected. Acid hands at two places on the barrels. Stock appears to have been shortened, now has steel butt plate. Deadeye Dick mentioned the shortening was sometimes done to facilitate heavy winter clothing.

Checked with Brad Bachelder last Fall, about restoration, the acid marks and all. Haven't decided to let loose of it yet.

All in all, if I look that good after 128 years, I'd have a $ million marketing tactic.

Best,
DD
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Mueller For Your Post:
added pics
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default added pics

Hey Gents,

A few added pics of the 10. Note the difference between a 3 frame 10 gauge and a 7 frame 8 gauge.

Best,
DD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (493.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.jpg (487.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (487.5 KB, 1 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Mueller For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

dutch thats a fine looking old 8...i too shoot the old 8s they really are neat guns..i kinda like showin mine off..how bout you..what chamber lenth is your gun..my old lifter guna parker is 3 1/4 i have and old fa loomis that has3 1/2 inch chabers..my dream gun is a 4 ga but a 4 inch chambered 8 would do... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie,
Chambers are 3.3" and use Remington industrials (with the extra rib milled and slipped off). My compatriots have teased me about taking the next step up. Could only find a single barrel muzzle stuffer. Had a hard enough time finding 8 hulls (after the fact) let alone 4's.

After my test rounds, I loaded up 40 + -. Offered to any takers to experience, only three of us shot the popper and birds (throws them vertical). The other 25 (all loaded with the One True Powder), went to our trap club so Deadeye Dick could scratch an item off his bucket list.

Style points all,
DD
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

dutch you may already know this but if you dont a fellow by the name of tom armbrust has lots of loading info on the 8 ga plus the big 4 ga also...hes the authority on the big bores here in the states... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Charlie,
I've heard the name, and Keith at Precision Reloading had offered the same pertaining to possible resizing presses and the like, for the 8. Have yet to make contact.

Let me know if you find your 4 gauge!!
Best,
DD