Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, is this the thread from Mr. Anderson? If so, your right, the engraving styles are way different.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...=rich+anderson
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,888 Times in 4,764 Posts

Yes, that's the thread. If Daryl is right about Bill's dog's name, this is the second gun owned by this gentleman that has come forward lately. Where did your Marktl gun come from? I think Franz is still alive out West somewhere, google will tell you the story. Franz was a local boy here in the DC area when he first came to this country. He engraved a bunch of guns for local enthusiasts before migrating to the real United States. He only did one piece for me, unfortunately.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,

We have, I think we have Martkl documentation for this particular gun. Again, I will post items when located. The engraving styles on both guns are significantly different. I will post a picture later this week of his dog on my gun.
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here are a few more pics of engraving

Must have been willi's gun ;-)

Unread 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

You are right about the different styles. Rich Anderson's gun was engraved before Franz Marktl came to the United States. The top view of your gun is beautiful. We sure would like to see good pictures of the rest of the gun. From your last picture, it seems that this gun was in fact engraved for William Eckmeyer. I guess I was wrong about my old friend Willie and his taste in engravers. Franz Marktl was very approachable when he first came here. His talent was and is remarkable. I will repeat my question, where did you find this great gun?
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

By the way, it was great to have Tom Kidd participate in this thread. If anyone knows more Parker and Fox people from the old days than I do, it is Tom Kidd. Hauling guns that are worth a half million bucks in today's money in a mid fifties Chevrolet sedan delivery is real brave. Of course, Tom's old Chevrolet would be worth about fifty grand today, if he still had it. I have a clear recollection of Tom laying out three XE Fox 20 gauges on the hood of his sedan delivery at the Pikesville MD Armory parking lot when we were a bit younger. The most expensive ones were $1400. Even back then, that was cheap. He must have had his eye on something.
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hello Bill, 50 Grand you say?? Sorry for the non Parker post, but it is a part of the great gun collecting histories, and the old girl did haul a lot of really high grade Parkers out to Wellsburg, W.Va. back in the day. It had a 265 with dual quads and an overdrive. I put 276,000 miles on it chasing all sorts of fine double guns, most of which I had on the arm. Great times, but more importantly, a fraternity of really GREAT PEOPLE allowed me to get off of the Hardscrabble Road. Always remember: Life is Good, Treat it With Respect!

Here are the only decent gun photos in this laptop, just ignore the maker, which was the Ansley H. Fox Gun Co., and enjoy the early lumber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7305A.JPG (81.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3545.JPG (73.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3534.JPG (153.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3532.JPG (72.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Tom Kidd; 02-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Added maker of F Grade
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Kidd For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow, great cruiser!!! Now what exactly is the beauty below it...wow!
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,852 Times in 2,025 Posts

Wellsburg, Wv? Damn, that's just 20 min from home. My wife's father was from Wellsburg. Think any of those Parkers and Foxes are still around there?
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
ahfoxman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi Harold, Unfortunately, all are long gone. One of the premier Parker collectors/traders was Paul Carson who lived in Wellsburg, W. Va. More than one A1S made its way through there as well as a number of super condition high grade original 28 gauge Parkers. Paul was one of the truly great gentlemen in the hobby, and I have a lot of his personal things here, unfortunately no guns. I even have his Parker display rack and a lot of his wife's art. He used to always stay here for the Allentown Show. Talking about the '56 Delivery, I was at Paul's and had a Deluxe Grade Smith in a leg of mutton case on the roof and the case's top opened and the barrels came sailing out, and Paul made a perfect catch on their way to the concrete. Funny, how one remembers memorable moments as they get older. Take Care!
Tom Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote