Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Thanks to John Dallas....
Unread 10-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,030 Times in 1,164 Posts

Default Thanks to John Dallas....

I've got a little project going, trying to visit and shoot at all these dozens of gun clubs scattered around Southern Michigan. Some are easy because they have public days, some are difficult because they're private. One that's pretty exclusive is the Detroit Gun Club. John is a good guy to know, he literally knows everybody in the Michigan shooting world. I asked him if he could wrangle me an invite and he quickly got the job done. I met him for a late lunch and round of trap this past Wednesday and marked Detroit off my list. This is Parker related because John was shooting his excellent D grade Trap gun. The picture is of him asking me what the Hell I'm doing shooting a Fox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171011_154720.jpg (534.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20171012_193358.jpg (563.3 KB, 20 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Spin Drift
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What were you out of compass, shooting a Fox.
Michael Moffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

My big Parker 34 inch is down in Southern Illinois at my folks. I was down there for a couple months dealing with some family issues and thought I would go teal hunting one day. That didn't play out and I ended up taking the train back to Ann Arbor so the gun had to stay. Be the first duck openers in 10 years I've not carried the old girl. She prolly don't know what to think!
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I shot somewhere with John; can't remember the club. He would though. What I DO remember is that he beat me by a couple on the 50 clay course. Had a great time and hope to do it again sometime.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

Rich and I shot at the Bald Mountain DNR site. Bald Mountain (and Island Lake) are two DNR sites in the Detroit area which are run by Pat Lieske. Pat may be one of the nicest folks you've ever met, and is the 2014(?) US Sporting Clays Champion.
Rich - let me know the next time you're back here, and I'll try to arrange a shoot with any double gunners. Maybe at a private club called the Huntsman. It's about the nicest club I've ever been allowed in.
Unread 10-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've hunted at the Huntsman with my brother and his business associates at least once. Great fields for hunting and an official "Orvis club". That was many years ago I was there.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,556 Posts

Their kitchen is about the best in Detroit, in my mind, however it isn't for the faint of wallet. The owner (now deceased) once was quoted as saying "I'm not sure our restaurant is the best, but it sure as hell is the most expensive"
Unread 10-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Destry, don't make that mistake again. You should know that a duck can't be killed with a gun with shorter than 34" barrels.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

destrey is this big gun the 10 ga or your 12 ga the swamp angel...is the big 12 ga a 3 inch gun....happy hunting this year...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll have the big gun back in a couple of weeks when I'm down home again. The piece in question is The Swamp Angel. She's only 2 3/4 but shoots so slick you don't need much else.