Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

E.M.Reilly & Company London
Unread 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default E.M.Reilly & Company London

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=778

Really should stay away from small town gun shows. When you see something you don't know but it looks exquisite and you eventually win a haggle you bring it home and then do the research. I had never seen a pin fire gun but now understand the system. There is a stamp on the gun of 1039. I believe that is October 1839 but ... It is in 12 gauge and sports lovely pattern welded barrels. I found some Reilly history on Double Gun forum and continue the search for more. Only four of the cartridges are replacements and the rest appear to be factory originals but .... Anyway some pics to enjoy in my albums. Cheers Jack I will insert link later as I'm trying to do my first post using a phone and im nervous about having to redo the message
Okay link up top. Cant seem to control a phone with a mind of its own

Last edited by Jack Cronkhite; 09-12-2017 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: insert link
Jack Cronkhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Cronkhite For Your Post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Oct 1839 is too early for a pin fire

Some date details here. Based on the label I'd guess 1860's

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=270014

Oh and -Sweet gun
Unread 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

For the full story of E. M. Reilly, get a copy of my feature story in the Summer 2015 edition of Double Gun Journal.

You will find Reilly was a competitor to Jas. Purdey...
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

hoy many barrels are with this gun jack...very nice...i know a fellow who learned how to reload these old pinfire shells...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

It has two barrels mounted sxs and held together with a top and bottom rib. But, there is only one set of barrels and they are beautiful.
Unread 12-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Gene Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sirs, I believe the attached line below compiled by me on Doublegunshop has the most complete information on Reilly every compiled. It includes SN's of about 300 extant Reilly's which include "marker" SN's enabling most Reilly's to be dated fairly precisely.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...38&nt=9&page=1

SN 1039 would have been one of the first SN's used by J.C. Reilly (the father) upon their move from Holborn Bars to 316 High Holborn in August 1835. I don't believe pinfires were around at that time. Please check the serial number again. In addition, would appreciate the name and address which appears on the rib which can help date this gun. The above doublegunshop line continues to compile a record of every Reilly which can be found. If you'd like to post pictures and information on your gun, it would be appreciated.

And Kensal I would very much like to read your article and compare it to the research mentioned above.
Gene Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Gene Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just got access to the photos. It looks like the serial number is 15293 (very unclear-behind the trigger guard). If so this gun can be dated precisely. EM Reilly opened Rue Scribe in Paris in Feb 1868. The first SN I've found with "Rue Scribe" on the rib is 15270. He was numbering about 50 guns a month. 15293 would therefore have been numbered in Feb, March 1868. From other examples it may or may not have Rue Scribe on the Rib and may or may not have rebounding hammers.

The first SN with EM Reilly on the gun (vice JC or just plain Reilly) is (reportedly - i.e. no photos - so without evidence this number is suspect) 10621. This would have been late 1857, early 1858. The first advertisement for Reilly in London periodicals which used "EM Reilly" vice "Reilly" is in and 1858 publication. The first SN I've actually confirmed via photos with EM Reilly on the gun is 11247, an Enfield - Reilly did not number guns he did not build.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene Williams For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. Williams:
A chronology of Reilly serial numbers is a laudable endeavour. But certain personal ethics prevent me from visiting the forum you mention very often.

But as I've stated above, you may obtain a copy of the Summer 2015 DGJ from the publishers and find a wealth of Reilly information. Much of it sourced from Reilly family descendants.
John Campbell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

We have an E.M. Reilley 450 BPE hammer double with a Jones underlever for sale at the shop .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Gene Williams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kensal, sorry about the problem with DGS. I don't know how these things arise - the internet can be anti-intellectual - but they sure get in the way of scholarship and just plain polite personal relationships. I'll try to find a copy of the DBJ 2015 issue I can buy and I really look forward to reading it and your scholarship - I wish I had known about this when I start my own quest. I searched for info on EM's sister and on what happened to his two sons without success. The serial number chronology though I think is worth a look