Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Engraving & Engravers

Notices

Engraving chaser recommendations
Unread 01-19-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Engraving chaser recommendations

Im looking for a reasonable engraver to trace the dogs on my D grade 16. I tried the background black and it really made the scrolls pop, but there just isn't enough of the dogs to make them stand out. I have already dropped a significant amount of money into this gun and I am assuming that it doesn't take a ton of skill to chase engraving so I am looking for someone reasonable.
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Noelle Feucht is a very talented engraver and among the most reasonably priced. She has worked on a great many Parkers. Keep in mind that an engraver will generally need to have the frame annealed before engraving because the case hardening it now has makes it especially difficult to recut engraving. But you should speak to her at the least to discuss your project.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

John, it may not be a simple job, most engraving is done before a gun is case hardened, I'm not sure you can engrave it now, it may have to be annealed (sp?) engraved and then case hardened again. I'm sure someone like Brian D (who knows) will jump in here and give the proper advice
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Noelle, is as Dean said and very pleasing to talk to. She did some screw work for me.
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cased gun parts are to hard to engrave and must be annealed and hand polished before any engraving,I was asked by a client to engrave his rifle receiver cutting through the bluing and I told him it's unprofessional and I would never do. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 01-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I agree with Dean. Noelle has engraved a number of screws for me and also chased other engraving and she does a great job. Her number is 203-788-4828, noelleinct@yahoo.com. Her charges are also very reasonable. Check out her web page at www.engravingbyNoelle.com. Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Copper John
Forum Associate

Member Info

I contacted Noelle this morning and I am going to send the gun out to her this evening.

Thanks guys!
"Everybody knows that the autumn landscape in the northwoods is the land, plus a red maple, plus a ruffed grouse. In terms of conventional physics, the grouse represents only a millionth of either the mass or the energy of an acre. Yet subtract the grouse and the whole thing is dead." - Aldo Leopold
John Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James J. Roberts View Post
I was asked by a client to engrave his rifle receiver cutting through the bluing and I told him it's unprofessional and I would never do. J.J.
J.J. I respect your opinion on that, however I'd like to relate a story from my past around 35 years ago. I had acquired a very pristine Colt Python 6" barreled revolver with that exquisite royal blue finish. It had been very tastefully engraved through the bluing over most of the flat areas of the frame with engraving about equivalent to what you see on a G grade Parker (sans the game scenes). The pattern was light and wispy and left in the white. At the time I could not believe someone would do that to this gun. I did however find it extremely attractive and gave the seller the full retail value of a used Python at that time. (I believe it was $600). I kept the gun for myself and admired it often. About six months later I mentioned it to a friend that was a collector of Colts and S&Ws. He said he would like to see it so I agreed to take it to the gunshow that weekend and let him handle it. Once it was in his hands I got nervous because I could tell he was coveting it a bit too much. Sure enough he asked what I wanted for it. I told him I wasn't trying to sell it, that I just brought it because he asked to see it. He said, Okay it's not for sale but how much would you have to be offered to change your mind? I thought for a bit and decided $2600 would scare him off. His bank bag was whipped out from under the table and he held the cash out for me to take. This man was my friend and I didn't want to waffle on the deal so I somewhat reluctantly sold him the Python. He put the gun in a pouch and set it under the table. I never saw that gun again. I wonder if he was just smitten or did he know something I didn't.

Last edited by David Noble; 01-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: clarification of time frame.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dave,Do you know who engraved your Colt Python and did you have any problem with any rust on the exposed engraving? J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 01-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,076 Times in 382 Posts

I had no idea who engraved it but I feel my collector friend might have. There was no problem with rust during the six months that I owned it, and I have no idea how long it had been engraved before that.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote