Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Without going back and reading the catalog and the thread, I will ask, "Is there something wrong with the EEO grade gun other than the fact that the owner is not the Remington researcher that some of our posters are?" Was not at least one gun seriously underdescribed? It is up to the buyer to find out what he is buying. We learned decades ago not to trust the auction house, either from the shoes of the buyer or the seller.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

So lets say I found a nice I mean very nice 1894 BE grade 10 ga for 1100$ would that be a good deal ?
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

Yup, Milton, everyone is responsible for his own destiny at a gun auction. Congratulations.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Havnt decided yet . They are selling it so cheap because someone blued the barrels then tried to polish it off they have a olive tint to them . If the barrels were redone it would loo practically new . Though it concerns me that it has no pitting in the bore . It might have been honed or just kept really cleaned which given its good condition would seem right .
Though I also think it would be good to send one of my doubles to Brad B and spend the money on getting one spruced up .
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,909 Times in 534 Posts

Brad did a grade 2 top lever hammer 12 for me....WOW is it nice! Its not one of my hunting go to guns but I love it anyway....(-: I have fired it one time since it came to stay with me. A large crow vermin lost its life that dreadful day....The bird got past me and was fleeting fast!, a quick change to the rear trigger and to my suprize the bird crumpled at over fifty yards with low brass 7.5#. It will take to the turkey woods one time or two in the future. Brads color case is 2nd to none...and will not break the bank. thanks all SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
Marion Salsman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it today and I registered with the site to add to the story concerning this EEO. I traded for the above 16 GA EEO around 35 years ago. When it arrived I was very disappointed to discover that the barrels had been refinished and looking down the outside of the barrels was akin to looking down a corduroy road. I suspect that is the reason for the non conforming barrel on it now. I sent the shotgun back and got the trade firearms returned to me. The next time I saw the shotgun was when I saw it in Charlie Semmers book. I talked to Charlie about it and he did not remember anything negative about the barrels. This same shotgun sold at the Butterfields auction in San Francisco for around $10,000 several years ago. I saw it also sold for about the same at another auction a couple of years later. I have often regretted not hanging onto it.
Marion Salsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

An excellent series of posts, all of which exemplify the notion that, if you attend enough auctions/previews, and live long enough, you will invariably see these examples of guns coming out of the "nether galaxies" of dubious authenticity and/or lineage. With the current state of the art refinishing techniques available today, and the total lack of records or attribution concerning some of these guns, expert appraisal and validation is the cheapest money you will ever spend before taking the plunge on a high dollar gun at any auction.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: