Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Advice for 3/4oz 20ga loads
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Default Advice for 3/4oz 20ga loads

I picked up a flat of 3/4oz 20ga from RST. I've reloaded them using Windjammer wads, Universal powder and Win 209 primers per a Hogdon manual. I've had unsatisfactory results. With the factory RST loads, I get dirty barrels and consistant ignition, but with my 3/4oz reloads I get very dirty barrels and inconsistant ignition. I think the compression is about the same although its hard to tell with a worn out Mec 600 and I know I need to buy a new reloader but I get good crimps. The shells will fire but some are small pops and others are bangs. I had to push out wads three times. I was running these through 24" barrels which normally get a little dirty anyway, but these were extremely dirty.
When I go back to 7/8oz loads, same wads, powder and primer, no problems. I tried upping the powder charge to the same as for 7/8oz but it had no discernable effect. So should I just give up trying to load 3/4oz or what? I never would have thought 1/8oz shot would have very much difference and I've played with light loads in 16 and 12 ga with good results but this 20ga is giving me problems.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've had great luck with Unique powder in 20 ga 3/4 oz loads.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Kevin Origoni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Have you tried Int. Clays with a WWAA20 wad and a W209 primer?
Kevin Origoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bruce - I have not used that particular recipe for 3/4 oz 20s, but the Windjammer wad with the lite load in the straightwalled RST hull may not be the best choice, regardless of what the data says. You may want to try a Federal-type wad that would be more compatible with the RST hull. Also, barrel residue with the 20 ga. 3/4oz load has not been that bad in my experience with it. RST always seems to be dirty, and loud. I'm not a fan of RST ammo for those reasons, and the fact that they are expensive.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Thanks Ed. I'll try a different wad.

I think RST trades off unburned/incompletely burned powder for pressure reduction. However, be careful. Say anything the least bit unflattering about RST and some here will be after you like villagers pursuing the Frankenstein monster.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I started reloading 3/4 ounce 20ga loads this past spring and have been quite pleased with their performance. Alliant Green Dot was my powder choice since I had it on hand for loading 12ga. In the Win AA hull I use Win 209 primers, 14.5gr of GD, WAA20 OEM wad with 3/4 oz of shot. This is supposed to produce 1200fpz at 9940 psi. You have to use the Win AA20 OEM wad as clones sit to deep too work with 3/4 ounce. I have had success loading Rem STS hulls using Rem 209P primer, 14gr GD, Claybuster clone of WAA20 wad and 3/4 ounce of shot. This is also supposed to produce 1200 fps at 9810 psi. From a cost perspective the STS reload is superior because the Claybuster wad is half the price and easier to find then the Win AA20 wad. Both are very comfortable to shoot. I shot quite a few of them at skeet this year and both loads have been consistent with strong and positive ignition.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Kevin Origoni
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete,

I have used both your load with Green Dot and another using Int. Clays with equal success. Both work well and are light shooting loads that don't seem to give up much to the 7/8 oz. load on a skeet field. I've used these lighter loads to teach my kids with when they were starting out years ago. I use them all the time as they give me more rounds to shoot on the skeet field for a 25# bag of shot.
Kevin Origoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Dollar Grade
PGCA Member

Member Info

What is considered low pressure for 20ga ?? Or are we just talking low recoil loads ? I have a twist 20 ga Ithaca Flues that I would like to use more often and my kids have a light weight 20 single shot. Sounds like a 3/4 oz load might work well.

Kurt
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kurt - The Hodgden website lists the "litest" 3/4 oz. load at 8,400 psi with WAA wads and Remington hulls. Not exactly as low as some 12 data, but if a gun can't safely handle 8,400 psi then it probably should not be shot IMO.... My son has shot a ton of these loads out of his BPS and they break clays as well as anything at skeet ranges. No recoil, good ignition, and a bag of shot and a pound of powder go a long way. The only issue I have had with them is it is difficult to get consistant crimps without a pea or some filler. I use WAA wads with no pressure.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

I would consider an 8400 psi load for a 20 gauge to be about as low as you can go. I wonder how dirty these loads are and also cold weather performance. Anybody know?