Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 09-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Derrick Stewart
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill,
I've been thinking about a 1-1/4 oz load for ducks and if I use Nice Shot I should get some simillar patterns.

I've never used Herco before. How bad is the recoil with this load? I would be using my #2 frame DHE F/F chokes and close to 8 lbs.

Thanks for sharring,
Derrick
Derrick Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The load at 1200 doesn't feel much different than a 3-1 1/8 trap load. Herco is a fairly slow powder that has been used in heavy 12 gauge loads for decades. I'm sure there is a similar powder in Alliant's new line, but I think Herco is still being made. I believe I used Herco in my last batch of pigeon loads until it ran out. For a 1200 PFS load, the slightly faster Unique is probably a better choice. I used 23 grains of Unique and the WWR wad, the red one just because I had some. There is another WW wad that fills the shell better. I had to use a .070 card wad to fill up the shell when using the red wad. The red wad is actually perfect for 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 ounce loads. Unique is a good choice for these 1 1/4 loads because it is what I have used for 20 and 28 gauge loads for a long time. I always have some on hand. I believe I got the 23 grain load out of the Alliant manual.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
AA hulls 12 ga- red and grey Handicap once fired
Unread 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default AA hulls 12 ga- red and grey Handicap once fired

[QUOTE=Pat Dugan;3579]I have been known to occasionally use a Benelli when it is very cold and the wind is blowing very hard and the birds are flying super high. This only happens when the season is about over in early January. These loads would only be eaten by my very heavy No 2 frame Parkers. It would not bother them, but it would pound my shoulder. These heavy loads would hardly be noticeable with the Benelli, so that is what they would be used for. The other dove hunts I use 1 1/2 frame Parkers with 28 or 30 inch barrels and shoot 1 1/8 no 7 1/2. Asa Kelly and I shoot Quail mostly with 28 Ga Parkers with 3/4 oz. 7 1/2.

Thanks for the reloading links

Pat- how about this- I send you all my current supply of once fired AA 12 gauge Hulls- both the std. red and the Grey/Black handicap for your dove and quail shooting in "The PeachTree State" and you send me back some Georgia pecans- I have a few wild game recipies that call for those, also will marinate some in Hennesy and later have my wife bake them in a pecan pie- Wish we had dove and quail up here- my late Father got to hunt native quail once near Thomasville (about 35 years ago) and raved about it, the dogs and the great country down there until his dying day-
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

For years I have been getting pecans that came from a grove that the old family used no chemicals on any of the trees. The nuts were hand shelled and had no bad pieces in the bags. Both were 90 when they passed away last year and the heirs are not going to handle them any more. The nuts are just starting to be harvested in South Georgia so I have not found the best ones yet, but there is a large crop. As EDM says " THE INVESTIGATION CONTINUES".

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Dugan For Your Post: