Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #21
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 895 Posts

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;278160]Not the case in some areas but in many it depends on how far you’re willing to get from the “tried and true” crowd-pleasing producers that just don’t produce after the first week of bird

Dean, not that far, believe me. After almost 40 years of Hunting/Guiding in Pittsburg, NH, I can say that most hunters are intimidated by the big woods and will not venture more that 200 yards max off the traveled roads. Get back a bit more, and you would be amazed at the birds you will find.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,212 Times in 12,371 Posts

Oh, I know. Same in the NEK.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #23
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Comment deleted
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Unread 07-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #24
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 2,015 Posts

I like to carry a Parker while grouse hunting, but agree with Steve it is "legs that kill the birds"
Unread 07-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

i have never even seen a live grouse but enjoy listenings to the tails of the hunt you guys do....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #26
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I hunted the Pittsburg area for quite a few years. It always amazed me that most folks seemed to just walk the roads/trails. That never suited my style and we trekked cross country seeing lots of birds and very, very rarely another hunter.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 07-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #27
Louis Rotelli
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll put in my two cents on this subject. I've hunted grouse more than 40 years now. I've hunted in north west CT. through the 80's and 90's when it was typical to flush a dozen birds per day. Since the introduction of the turkeys the grouse have virtually disappeared. Same goes now, for the Catskills. A lot of the killing in northern New England come from the locals that just shoot them off the road and then complain that there aren't as many as there used to be.
CT performed a study a few years back and counted only 17 birds in the entire state. Their answer is clear cutting, but that wont bring birds if there aren't any around. when asked if they would bring in birds form another state the answer was no.
Louis Rotelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #28
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Louis, I know to a lot of folks "road hunting" for grouse in New England is not to there liking. But please keep in mind local tradition is important and criticizing the practice does nothing but divide the hunting community. I was raised "road hunting" and although I not longer hunt that way I have no problem with others doing so. Grouse have a very high mortality rate and you cannot "stockpile" them. Most biologists will tell you that hunting has very little, if any effects on the overall grouse population. Good habitat and conducive spring weather is what dictates a healthy grouse population. I know I will get the ire of members here for my comments, but this is what I believe.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 07-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,212 Times in 12,371 Posts

I agree with you Steve. There’s nothing wrong with road hunting - as long as it’s done on foot. Another New England tradition in certain ‘off the beaten path’ localities is shooting grouse from the open window of a car or truck. And though acceptable in some remote circles, it is a highly illegal, not to mention unethical, practice. In the enthusiasm of one guy I met several years ago in northern VT, he told me where I could go to shoot a lot of birds this way without getting caught. I simply told him that I have too much respect for the law, the grouse, and myself to ever consider doing it.

Road hunting and “ground swatting” are legal methods of putting birds in the bag.... if that’s all you want...

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #30
CSL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In earlier times, with a Parker, with a Dog, on Foot, in the Grouse woods. The way it should be.

Best, Chris
"One can argue the true value of a photograph is measured by which story it communicates. Every carefully exposed frame not only freezes time, but captures a moment that has the power to redefine history..."

Costner ~ On Old Photos
Christopher Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Lien For Your Post: