Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'd have to measure a rim before and after when using a 600 to believe the rim gets reduced. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but man I have trouble believing it does. I think more along the lines that the shell isn't dropping down into the collet properly. It could be adjusted too tight or the plunger isn't dropping down quick enough. But then it doesn't do it with other brand shells. Something isn't right. They should all resize just fine.
Unread 03-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,460 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
The 600 has a ring sizer. As the metal case head passes though it's reduced in diameter and in the process the unsized rim is drawn inward a few thousandths. This is enough for the rim to pass through the collet of the 9000. Without "pre-sizing" in the 600, the rim is too wide to drop down into the collet rim cut.
I was thinking maybe whatever the alloy is they’re using now in those metal base part was softer , but then that wouldn’t make any difference after being sized in the 600 . Anyway I’ll try your suggestions and see what happens ! Thanks
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #13
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don’t know about the other Mecs but my 16G 600 Jr with the short kit does a poor job of sizing Cheddite hulls. The ring can produce enough friction the rim gets bent. Have the same issue with Cheddite 10 G and a Mec short kit conversion .

No doubt the Mec 600 does fine with American Hulls. Cheddites rims are a bit smaller in diamater new before sizer comes into play. Rim is thinner too. They bend easily when eject /prime force is concentrated on the rim. Not every time mostly when the rim or hull is dirty increasing friction. You can get a rim bend or a dished head from seating the primer hull supported by the rim.

I size decap and prime my short 16 empty’s ( 10 G too) on a PW 375 press, the PW sizer is a FL die like used on a Pistol or Rifle case. Eject is pushed by a custom made rod from inside the Hull that’s releved to clear the fresh primer. Rim never comes into play

Size deprime prime then eject with the custom Delrin ejector rod. Last PW station - eject, pushes on the rod knocking the case out.

Then move the deprimed sized primed empty over to the Mec & finish the job. No worrying about a bad shell in my bag that’s going to need a cleaning rod to eject from the gun.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote