Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use 10 to 12 grains of rice in the bottom of the shot cup. They are hard enough not to crush during the crimp stage, and are small and light enough not to effect the patterns. I have patterned my loads with, and without, the rice with no apparent difference.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you Austin. Interesting idea. biodegradable too.
Milt Fitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

When reloading 2 7/8" 10ga shells where filler is needed I find the Cheerios are still a better snack than all these other suggestions.
Unread 02-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wonder what would happen if you put the rice on top of the shot.
Unread 02-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Fitterman View Post
I wonder what would happen if you put the rice on top of the shot.
Hevi-shot puts flaxseed on top of the load for making a good crimp. Great patterns so it does not have any effect.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-metal/

Now if you are into being healthy, just eat some flaxseed while you load, but don't handle the lead shot at the same time. Will cure all kinds of problems!

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...o-991/flaxseed
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #16
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Milt,
I tried, and patterned, that also and found more ragged patterns with the rice on top. Just a guess, but I think the rice makes its way into the shot column upon discharge and causes some dispersion. One might try using rice on top as a spreader round, but the patterns were ragged in my gun.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2019, 12:05 AM   #17
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I made some samples to try of rice on the bottom and top and the beans on the bottom. I intended to be out in Hamburg, NJ to tomorrow to try them however I was informed by the club that area will be closed for a competition so no go on the testing. It is a two hour ride to get there so not sure when I can do it next. The rice I am using is especially small. It is what we have right now and it is similar in size to flax seed. The best laid plans and all that........
Unread 02-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

JMHO, but from past experience and from reading such books as a Sears 1905 catalog [ of all things ] , I would recommend anything possible to be put under the shot. Most anything such as wads, rice, beans, plastic, etc, is all lighter than lead and will stay behind it after the shot leaves the barrel. If put in front of it, the shot will have to go around it and it COULD disrupt the pattern. I found just a thicker OS card made a difference. And it's cheaper if using wads to put one cushion wad in instead of two or three OP cards.
Unread 02-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #19
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Agree with Paul

The fiber cushion wad can be sliced easily with a pocket knife to adjust stack height. I load three hulls Cheddites Federals and Remingtons. Each needs a little bit different stack height same charges. Load a few that are acceptable but not quite perfect cut the wad shorter or longer to adjust. My opinion cost, performance and fit fibers are the best filler wads.

William
William Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #20
Milt Fitterman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you for all the help. I got out today and tried the different combinations. The rice on the bottom and the red dried beans on the bottom worked perfectly. The patterns were exactly the same as the shells I made with the two 1/8" 16g. card wads and the cheerios. I stopped eating the cheerios after they sat for months waiting for me to reload some more 16g. I did not like loading the rice since the plunger hits the rice and makes funny noises. Also, a grain or two are likely to pop out and the mice will probably like them.

As Austin said the rice on top made the patterns look ragged which is a good word to describe how it looks.

I still have some 1/8" card wads however there is never a shortage of red beans nor do I have to spend $8 to have them shipped.

There is something about reloading which kind of pushes you into finding the least expensive way to load shells. Not sure why. Maybe just the challenge? You certainly are saving enough just by loading your own using the card wads however it has been fun fooling around with this. The red beans are handy since most have them around or at least at the supermarket and it is quicker to load than the 2 card wad plus an overshot card or a few cheerios. One less step.

Best to you all! No more zero degree days I hope.