Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Daisy, My Little Girl
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Daisy, My Little Girl

I was her third home and maybe her last stop. She came to me in a weird sort of way sometimes the good ones do that. I was at the local gun club (90 min drive) shooting skeet and had loaned my keys to someone to open target boxes with. They left and took my keys with them.

A friend offered me a ride home to get the extra set and we got to talking about dogs. Seems he was working with a two year old shorthair named Daisy. Her owner hadn't done anything with her in the form of training. If he wanted her to kennel he just threw in a treat and shut the door. He had asked my friend Marshall for help and he agreed. The original owner had a heart problem and died on the operating table leaving my friend with Daisy a dog he didn't want or need as he is more of a duck hunter and he had three labs already.

Gunner was 10 at the time and showing signs of his years. "Daisy is a smart dog she just needs some more work and to be hunted" I was told. I met Marshall at a local preserve and watched Daisy work. She covered 100 yards faster than you could say it. I've always said she has two speeds, flat out and a dead stop.

Daisy proved she was smart and we got along fine. She ran a deer only once, while at the Hay Marsh a couple ran in front of her. Two NO!s and a touch of the E collar and she never did it again.

That was ten years ago and she became queen of the castle as soon as she arrived. She wanted attention and demanded it and got it. She and Gunner hunted well together for several years and made a great pair.

We have had a lot of great hunts over the last decade and she never once lost a bird even when my shooting wasn't the best and it usually isn't.

Today I said goodbye to Daisy my little girl with all the love and respect I can muster and all the heartache that is embracing every fiber of my body.
She gave unconditional love all her life and it was the least I could do in return. The house isn't the same without her and my recliner will be a lonely spot. This is the first day in more than 25 years I haven't had a dog.

I have attached some pictures of her doing what she did so well and loved so much. May the wind be in your face and a bird under your nose my little girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haymarsh Pheasants 002.jpg (530.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Haymarsh Pheasants 001.jpg (540.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Pheasant Mania 002.jpg (436.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg U.P. Grouse 013.jpg (213.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Daisy hard at work.jpg (518.2 KB, 2 views)
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Rich,

Thanks for sharing the photos. After reading your words about Daisy on the other forum, it was good to put a face to the name. She was a beauty, and I like the fact that fate brought you two together. I'm sure she, in the way that dogs have, was glad to be with someone who wanted her, would hunt with her, and let her "be in charge." Take comfort in having her.

Your news has caused me to go to each of my four Gordons to touch them, and tell them secrets more often than norma today. I hope another dog finds its way into your future.

Garry
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Daisey
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Daisey

Rich ,
Just wanted to say that I am so sorry ...and you made me cry with your words ...There are better days ahead ......There with be another someday and like with Gunner it will be a little easier......
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Kohler For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

Rich,
I'm sorry to hear the news about Daisy. I only hunted over her once at the Hay Marsh.
She never gave up on a bird. I remember following her clear across the Hay Marsh after a runner. She finally got it up. After all that work, I was glad I connected on that pheasant.
Best,
Jeff
Jeff Kuss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Kuss For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

Rich,

So, so sorry to hear about Daisy. There are no words that can heal the hole in your heart, your soul. Only time can help with that - and perhaps another puppy. Take care.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,164 Times in 476 Posts

Damn Rich, you made me cry.
Sorry for your loss.
Unread 12-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,559 Times in 773 Posts

Rich, my sincere heartfelt condolences.. its never easy to say goodbye to a tried and true faithful companion, keep her memory close to your heart. Jim
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

The loss of a hunting companion and a friend is very difficult indeed. I am sorry for your loss.
Unread 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
double barrel
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rich,
So sorry to hear of the passing of Daisy, my very first dogs name was Daisy and I still miss her 45 years later.
Ken Descovich
Ken Descovich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Descovich For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

These are the harshest of payday days, the ones where money wont pay the tab. Still a bargain for all the days of having a live in confessional, one that so well knows you and loves you, faults and all.

You have the best medicine available in Ike! He will be the beneficiary of all the tricks that Gunner and Daisy taught you. I am sure he will teach you some of his own also.

And I thank you for that post on him because it got me thinking of my own CESS (canine emotional support system ). Finn and I talked it over and we are looking into a little brother.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post: