Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Alpha 100

durability - well made and withstands harsh environments, inclusive of water.

Use in heavy cover - same as above (normal rules apply - be certain the collar is adjusted properly so it does not get hung up on branches etc).

Ease of use -screens and such - the beauty of the Alpha is how sophisticated it is. It can be set up to perform multiple functions or it can be set up as a straight forward and simple device. I prefer straight forward and, simple. The ability to hunt quietly and to know where the dog is at all times is tremendeous. Could even save the dogs life in some circumstances. I use the tone on the collar as a recall / check in with me command. I've also found my dog deep, deep in the thick with a Rooster pinned b/c the Alpha told me that the dog is on point. Crawling flat on my belly in order to get to him kind of thick, literally.

Frankly, I much prefer the simplicity and functionality of what is now the Garmin Tri-Tronics Pro 550, especially for training. That said, the upsides of the Alpha are very, very tough to beat. I'm certain you would not regret the purchase.

One further caveat - I would prefer my dogs not wear a collar at all.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Until the English Setters actually learn to speak English

And are able to come back to me to say. "hey. I found a bird over there - let's go get him"

I am afraid they will wear one. Besides I always have name address and cell number on the collar, in case they do get lost

Now - someone can say "I never carry a phone out hunting"
Unread 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

I have yet to go the GPS collar route, but certainly can see their usefulness. I hope the learning curve to use them is not too great for my electronically challenged mind.
I do really like my Dogtra beeper/e collar/ locator collar to locate my dog if it is out of sight or on point. I dont always use the beeper point mode when hunting by myself, and if my dogs are not on point, hitting the locator beeper will bring them back in, instead of blowing the whistle. If i had it to do over again, I would order the 2 dog unit as I often hunt them as a brace.
Unread 07-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

I'm with Harold, if it's fairly simple to use I would be interested. I bought the original Garmin Astro collar and it's not user friendly for someone that is electronically challenged ! I also use a Dogtra collar and if it had a GPS on it that would be great, one that showed where the truck was and where the dog is, is that too much to ask, nothing else............
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Eis For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
one that showed where the truck was and where the dog is, is that too much to ask, nothing else............
Eric- i think the Garmin is also a stand alone GPS - so it would do that
Unread 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I stated that I keep my unit (Alpha) simple but, I didn't share how simple.

Like others have shared, my unit displays a compass screen with an arrow that points to the dog and a number that shows his distance. It really doesn't get more simple than that. If pup goes on point (or does the drop and roll on a dead critter) the unit will send you a notification. The buttons for tone and stim are right on the front of the unit at the ready. The screens, if not locked are a real pita b/c they'll switch on you as you walk - just lock the screen and your golden.

Since it's GPS, you can set up way points, mark special landmarks, honey holes, etc etc. Further, if one gets brave enough, you can plug it into your computer and review not only a visual of both yours and the dogs tracks overlaid against a map but, also the data corresponding to the tracks. I think Gary said that was a real eye opener for him..he's right, it is. For every mile you trek, your dog does 3 to 4 miles. I'll do 15 or more miles a day myself sometimes..do the math..dog deserves that extra treat and a soft pillow after the hunt.

It's a very powerful tool but that doesn't mean you have to use every feature. After a short orientation period, I'd be willing to bet you'd get to feeling pretty squirrelly and a little rebellious - before you know it you'd be using several of the features that the unit offers.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #17
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

If a person wishes they can "Hide" the programs they do not want to see. You can also change the order of the Apps. I have the 6 basic apps I use on the front of the screen when I turn it on. If you take the time to read the operating instructions and play with it before you go to the field you should be fine. Garmins support is also great. Also nice if you have a hunting partner that is savvy to help you.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

I'm not sure how you could make the Astro much easier to use especially if you do not use the fancy stuff. Turn it on, there is a button for that; access the dog screen, there is a button for that; put it in your pocket and go hunting.

I did spend some time over a few cups of coffee customizing my unit. I use the same color collars on the same dog all the time. So I customized via internal menus the color of the dog indicator arrows. Blue for Willie and red for Jake. The arrows now match their collar color and I always know which is which. I also customized a menu to see only what I use. For example, the first menu option is to <start a new hunt> which clears the dog track log and starts a new one and then prompts me to decide if I want to save the location as the truck. At <yes> it deletes the old truck location and logs in the new one. The second menu option is <Go To> where you select "Truck" at the prompt and are then provided navigation info to the vehicle. Most of the time I never need this function and never get beyond the dog screen.

Warning: it is very easy to get caught up in all the gee whiz stuff that these units provide and then the complexity of use increases. If it is simple you desire they can be operated very effectively as such.

I forgot to mention the dog track function. The unit always stores the dog track data with no input from you. It amazes me what our canine athletes do in the course of a hunt. On a one hour run I regularly see about 10 mile dog tracks. Last year I hunted for the first time a 150 acre clearcut that was as thick as they get. It was so thick that I decided to walk the perimeter and let the dogs do the heavy lifting. In the 2.5 hours it took me to circumnavigate the cut I saw the dogs about 10% of the time but still always knew where they were via the gps. At the conclusion I checked the track log and noted the old guy(11) had run 27 miles and his young partner(5) had run 25. And that is not running trails or open country. It is through some of the thickest crap nature provides. When I got home I overlaid the dog track on an aerial photo of the cut and the result put a smile on my face. With no direction or help from me there was not one 10 sq. yd patch of that cover that did not have a dog track through it. The boys were doing their job, covering ground, finding birds, and taking it easy on the old man by letting him walk the easy stuff.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 07-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #19
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

Gary, you and Scott have convinced me that I could use one of these, though I don't have problems with big running dogs--yet, new pup is only 2 weeks old. Young dog, Fancy does not like the beeper function on my collar, so I don't use it with her, just a bell and use a quick locator beep if I don't know where she is at. Those collars should be great for late season pheasant hunting when birds are really jumpy. Good to hear real life experiances with these and not just magazine adds. I am really not that technologically challenged, so I am sure I could be on a quick learning curve.
Unread 07-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

so - its not a new problem