Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 12-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Last year I bought a Original Marlin 1894 25/20 for Silhouette competition. I know the inside of Marlins pretty well. This model is much sought after however the Hammer/Trigger was totally screwed up. It would not even function. Shop had sold it twice both times returned. I paid a low price expecting to go on a hunt for parts.

At home stripping the gun it was obvious the Hammer notch and sear were as they left the factory in 1912. Ordered new springs from Windners, installed the springs and it not only worked like it should trigger pull is very good smooth with nice clean let off. Offhand Sillouette rifle all Origional to meet class rules, very light gun, trigger pull makes for good scores.

I don't know of any gunsmith that's equipped to improve Lever action pulls by stoning Sears. You need a jig rifle specific free hand won't do and too many different rifles out there to keep the jigs on hand. Better to replace the parts.

Quality shotguns another thing and no doubt it's possible a good man can correct problems, if it has a problem from poor work years ago. You can bet it left Parker with proper sear engagement .

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
8GAUGE
Forum Associate

Member Info

The locks are beautiful inside. Nothing has been messed with. Either the sear notch has worn from wear and tear or it came that way from the factory. Whatever the case, the trigger pull is much too light. I am confident the gunsmith I have it at will be able to correct it. I will post again when I get the results.

thanks,
Thayne
thaynedelange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Pawel Janusz
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaynedelange View Post
Ok Guys, I know several of you must have dealt with this issue before. My Parker 10 gauge lifter doubles sometimes when I fire it. The trigger pull is about 2 pounds on both hammers! I have had the gun professionally cleaned and locks look brand new with no appreciable wear.

The gun double fires about 40% of the time. I understand that the angle on the sear engagement needs to be changed. Is this the correct way of correcting this issue? I would like to see a normal trigger pull of about 6 pounds like my other double guns have. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Problem can be caused by what you described, but there can be other factors influencing it too. As wood edge it changes position of top tong to bottom tong moving location of triggers with arms push on sears, that can cause that sears can't reach full engage with hammers staying on tip of sear (very light trigger pull) I look that first and ensure that action components as well side plates are steady. If not I do full glass bad job to all parts after epoxy soak of wood. If wood is damaged to much by age or gun oil more intense work is require in order for epoxy to adhere or restocking is require.(in critical situation) Next step is to do a trigger job as tuning angkes&surface quality and spring tension in order to achieve safe trigger pulls to customers request.
Paweł Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paweł Janusz For Your Post:
Visit Paweł Janusz's homepage!
Unread 01-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Good points Pawel.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote