Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Chamber Pressure
Unread 02-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
John Clement
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Chamber Pressure

Hi, this is my first post here. I have a 1930 16 gauge VH that my Father gave me when I was 16. I say he gave it to me when I was 16, that was when he let me know that the gun was mine. He wisely waited about another 10 years to let me take full possession of it

Anyway, it is my most treasured firearm, as it was his, and I have just gotten back into more regular shooting and reloading. I have been catching up on all the changes in components that have taken place in the last 15 years as I gear back up for loading 16 gauge shells.

I have been reading a lot about the danger of higher chamber pressures in "vintage" shotguns. My gun is in beautiful condition, no rust or pitting, Vulcan steel barrels and a #1 frame. Is there any reason that I should be any more concerned about chamber pressure on the Parker than any of my other guns? I always use recipes from reliable sources, most of which run somewhere between 9000 and 11000.

Thanks
John Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

TPS p. 515 has chamber pressure tables.

There are other sources for Parker recommended loads, which, as you have recognized by your question, are different , but related, to chamber pressure.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

John, Most of us here keep our loads to 5,000 to 8,000 PSI A 1 frame 16 is a great gun but you have a gun with 80+ year old wood and there really is no need to punish the gun and your shoulder with hot loads. If it were my gun I would load accordingly. Also our friends at RST make some fantastic shells for vintage guns that will do anything you ask of them within reason. Check them out at RST.com
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
John Clement
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks. I didn't know any of this. I will get reading.
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

John, I can recommend joining the 16 Gauger Society, as well as their
"low pressure" group where you'll get tons of low pressure recipes.

http://www.16ga.com/
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
John Clement
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK, found RST. Just FYI it is rstshells.com. rst.com is the RAM stress test group. The Parker Story looks great, but a bit out of my price range. I had already found and enjoyed 16ga.com, but had not looked at the low pressure group.

Thanks again
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

John,

I have a 16 VH on a #1 frame as well. I try to limit my shells to 1 oz at 1200 fps or less. I reload 7/8 oz at 1150 fps with the Down Range wad and International Clays powder. The pressure is 6200 psi and I shoot this load in a 16 gauge PH that has a set of Damascus barrels also. The PH was a 12 gauge on a #1 frame with Twist barrels that had been beat to death. I had a set of Damascus 16 gauge barrels that miraculously fit. Another fun Parker with 28" full choke barrels.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Harry, Could you post the full recipe for that load? I have been wanting to try some of the Downrange wads. Thank's!
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
John Clement
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Harry, that helps a lot. What kind of hulls and primer? 1 Oz. Loads are exactly what I am looking for. I don't hunt much any more, just shoot targets.

I have started the process to try to get into the 16 ga.com low pressure group, but haven't had a response yet. Seems I need the secret handshake or something Thanks to all for the good info here.

Am I right in thinking that the only way to get The Parker Story is to purchase the books for $500 or more?
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,789 Times in 651 Posts

I believe the Double Gun Journal is selling seconds for around $175 for the pair. I don't think anyone has found the reason they are seconds.
Jeff Kuss is online now   Reply With Quote