Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Old A&F Leather Case
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,104 Posts

Default Old A&F Leather Case

Good Morning All ,Maybe some of you guys remember a while back ,I purchased the A&F Leather case ,Angel had on our site for sale ,the case is really in excellent condition ,but I would like to give the outside a good cleaning and then treat the leather with something that will really bring it back to life ! Would any body know what to use to get this job done ,I would really appreciate suggestions from those of you that have done this ! I have a product called " Ballistol Multi Purpose Sportsman's Oil " I picked this up at a local show ,it really does clean and puts a very slick layer of oil on metal ,also good on wood ,claims to be good on leather ,any one ever use this product on leather ? Any help will be appreciated ! Thank you ; Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,451 Posts

On a recommendation from a local saddle and leather shop here in Tucson, I started using BLACKROCK Leather "N" Rich. This is a great product, that will clean, restores and leaves a proffesional finish. Others may have additinal products that work as well.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Here's a VC case, I had forgotten that it had gold letters. Can't find a picture of the older A&F oak and leather case, but this one was done with Meltonian Light Brown. This is the case for the Mrs Howard DHE 20ga.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0611.jpg (44.9 KB, 9 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Russ

I use Ballistol on my fixed blade knife sheaths. I like it for the leather for that purpose feeling it serves double duty with treating the leather and protecting the metal from moisture while it's in the sheath. It will darken the leather considerably. If the case you reference were mine, I think I would use a product made specifically for leather like the one recommended by Mr. Carr.

Cheers
Marcus
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc Retallack For Your Post:
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Marc, I like the product as well other than the very strong aroma it emits ,that was one concern and the other was discoloring ! Also Bruce ,Thank you for posting the pic. of the case and the PM's also ,it is all much appreciated ! I have found an old can of Fiebings Saddle Soap in one of my old bag of assorted goodies ,says it cleans and renews all leather articles ,I think I will give this a shot ,I will take some before Pics. and also some after Pics. and we will all see how this works out ,hope to get to it later today ,any one else want to try other products with pics. this could end up being a valuable learning thread ! Thanks all , Russ
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I made a couple recommendations, but Kevin McCormack is highly skilled in rejuvenating old leather. I know he has made some specific product recommendations here in the past.
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Russ,
Here are the recommendations Kevin McCormack sent to me a few years ago after he repaired a Red Head case for me. Hope this helps.

I use Kiwi brand "mink oil" which is not an oil at all but an opaque wax with lanolin, silicone, and some other goodies in it. You can find it at any pharmacy or food store in the home products section at about $3-$4 a tin. A couple of three applications a year is all you need to keep good leather supple and dry-rot resistant. Rub case with it using circular motion in sections, working it into the leather. Then set aside to dry in a cool, dry place for a couple of days. It's especially good for handles and straps, as these are usually the first to break from dry rot over time.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Okay guys ,Not sure how much difference you can tell in the pics. ,but there is a huge difference ! First two are before and then the after !Thank you all for the fine suggestions ! Russ
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Looks to me like the top end Red Head made Elliot case labeled for A&F. Amazing how these things clean up. I think they are the perfect accompaniment to a vintage Parker, so much better than a plastic full length case.
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,411 Times in 12,421 Posts

Okay... nice case Russ - nice job...

Now, please tell us about the Parker in the case, the one with the engraved wedges, Hmmmm... ?

Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: