Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 10-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Quote:
The water table is marked 2 (GH grade?)
A Quality 2 Parker Bros. hammer double was either an E, F, G or H grade.

E-Grade was a 10-gauge with a pistol grip
F-Grade was a 10-gauge with a straight grip
G-grade was all other gauges with a pistol grip
H-Grade was all other gauges with a straight grip

So, your gun would be a G-Grade. A GH-Grade was a hammerless gun.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Dean Schimetschek
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll definitely invest in a factory letter. I'm curious to see if there is any interesting information as to who ordered the gun. Though I'm a little green on Parkers I handle antique guns on a daily basis so I can say for sure that the wood is original to the gun. The whole gun has the appearance of a very well used but taken care of original gun that I'm sure killed ducks and geese on a daily basis. Is there any way to further break down how many G grade 8 Gauges were made? Thanks again, -Dean
Dean Schimetschek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,969 Times in 1,420 Posts

I have quite a bit of information on this gun. It will answer some of the questions but leave you guessing on some other questions!

Send for a letter!
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

According to the Quality 2 tables in The Parker Story, Volume One, there were twenty 8-gauge lifter action hammer doubles in 8-gauge, 17 with Damascus barrels and 3 with Laminated Steel barrels. There were forty Quality 2 top-action hammer doubles with Damascus barrels -- two with 32-inch barrels, 21 with 34-inch barrels, 16 with 36-inch barrels and one with 38-inch barrels. In Quality 2 hammerless doubles there were 78 8-gauges, 67 with Damascus barrels and eleven with Parker Special Steel barrels.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 11-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Aside from the $20 saved on the research letter the benefits of membership are worth many times over the $40 membership fee.

You will receive 4 (quarterly) issues of Parker Pages, the journal of the PGCA, (48 page color, glossy magazine) full of technical articles and hunting and shooting stories... All about Parkers.

You will have access to the PGCA Members Only section of the Web Forum where you can buy and sell Parkers and other old doubles.

You will be mailed an entire PGCA Membership roster so you can easily find other PGCA members in your area.

Come on guys - help me out here... there are lots more too, but it's getting late...
You will also receive a very nice pin!

Join Up! George
Unread 11-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
Jawjadawg
Forum Associate

Member Info

Your first Parker is an 8 gauge? That's sort of like being afraid of girls your whole life until the homecoming queen asks you to be her date.

The knowledge base of the longtime collectors is worth the price of the membership. Ask a question and the answer you almost certainly shall receive.
Unread 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Jeff Maus
Forum Associate

Member Info

That's a nice gun…

JM
Jeff Maus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
Dean Schimetschek
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well we got a letter on the gun and what a story! This is particularly intriguing to me since I primarily collect market guns and this gun appears to have been a truly well used market gun. The gun was shipped to T. B. Davis (T. B. Davis Arms Co.) of Portland, Maine on October 16th, 1891. Davis ran a sporting good store and retailed shotguns. The gun was a top lever hammer gun, 8 Ga, straight grip with 38" Damascus barrels. One week later he returned the gun to Parker for a full credit (apparently someone didn't like it!). Parker held the gun for a year and a half until they sold it to Schoverling Daly & Gales of New York City in March, 1893. They were another sporting goods retailer, who sold the gun to E. G. Elliott of Nantucket Island, Mass. On November 9th, 1894, Elliott returned the gun to have it "restocked 1/2 pistol grip, install Silvers recoil pad, and make shoot as best as can". Two years later in 1896, Elliott returned the gun yet again to "restock, take out dents, and re-blue". Obviously Mr. Elliott was a market hunter who was showing this gun some serious use! He then sold the gun to Frank Meiggs, also of Nantucket, who I have confirmed to have been a market hunter. He returned the gun in 1898 to "tighten the action, clean up locks, clean and rebrown barrels, and solder on ribs". So within just five years the gun was on it's third stock, had to be repaired multiple times, and even have new ribs soldered! Needless to say the barrels were professionally shortened to 34" during the period as well. I can only imagine how many waterfowl this gun must have had to take down to gain so much wear and tear over a short period of time. This also confirms that the gun is the one and only quality 2 toplever hammer 8 Gauge with 38" barrels ever made.
-Dean
Dean Schimetschek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Schimetschek For Your Post:
Unread 11-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

man this old gal certainly musta shot her share od water fowl..i too have an old 8 ga hammer gun that was shot and abused a lot they even built a steel collar for this old gun to keep it breached together when fired finally the old gun got over 1/4 inch off face took me 2 hours cleaning and fileing crude and rust away to even to be able to get a shell in the barrel...today she still do nt look like much but she will shoot and stay together with out the steel collar..it was the wort gun i have seen or held in it s present condition before i owned it.it was sold in calfornia...now resides in miss. would love to see some pictures of your punt guns..there was a 6 barrel ten ga punt gun for sale a while back on the auction sites...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,969 Times in 1,420 Posts

Dave,

Just to clarify, I classified this gun as a Quality F grade gun based on the barrel steel, grip type, and price listed in the order book. Parker didn't have a Quality grade letter designation for 8ga. guns but said to take the Quality grade with that barrel steel and grip type and add $35.00 to the price listed for the 10ga. gun. When I took the price for a Quality
F grade gun and added the $35, it matched the price in the order book. Regardless whether it's a E,F,G,or H letter designation, they are all considered a number 2 grade gun.
Chuck Bishop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: