Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

My First Parker!
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default My First Parker!

Greetings and Salutations!
I just purchased my first Parker Bros. shotgun. It is a Hammer/Lifter model in 12 gauge. It is a rather plain gun with straight grip, no checkering, and no engraving. The plain twist barrels are 32" with the following markings: the right flat has a 0 ('Zero' Grade?) and 4 12. Forward of the right flat is 13. On the bottom of the lug is o 2. The serial number is 10250. All visible numbers match. Overall, the gun looks great! Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the bores. The exterior of the barrels has been taken care of and they are a light tan color. The trigger guard retains some bluing, but the rest of the metal has turned brown. I hope to learn a lot from all of you here! Cheers!
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Mark: Welcome. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Your gun appears to match the factory specs for 10250; namely, 0 grade, plain twist, underlifter hammer gun, straight grip stock, 12 gauge, 32 inch barrels No extras out of the factory. The lug stamp indicates a 2 frame gun. 4 12 appears to be the unstruck barrel weight being 4 pounds 12 ounces. The 12 should be a superscipt slightly above the 4. I leave it to others to comment on the 13.

Are the bores "pitted" or just dirty?

We enjoy pictures and would like to see your gun.

I note you understand what you have gotten into when you call it your "first" Parker.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 06-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks for the Welcome and good info, Jack. I have been scrubbing the bores this morning. Yes, they are pitted and not so pretty! The majority of the pits are just beyond the chambers. There was something on the outside of the barrels that caused Hoppe's solvent to bead up on the surface. Maybe some sort of shellac? Was that a common practice years ago? I will work on some photos. Do I have to put them in Photo Bucket first?
Unread 06-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,558 Posts

From the FAQ section:

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
John Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Okay, here are some photos. I hope this works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09180a.jpg (65.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 09180i.jpg (78.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 09180h.jpg (47.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 09180g.jpg (45.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 09180f.jpg (83.7 KB, 21 views)
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

That was easy! I also found a tiny J.S. stamped on the center lug. Is this an inspector?
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Yes,I stands for John Stokes a Parker Bros. barrel contractor.
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Captain Bob

Member Info

Mark, With an eye to the possible meaning of the 13 and/or the o stampings, have you measured the bore diameters yet?
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I do not have the capability to measure the bores. I kinda wondered if the 13 had something to do with bore diameter. There is a 0 on the lug and the right barrel flat. I don't know if one, or both, of them refer to the grade.
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

I finally have everything disassembled. There was quite a bit of rusty dirt/dried up oil/sweat deposited in every nook and cranny! The hammer and tumbler assemblies rock back and forth in the sideplates, ever so slightly. When measured with a digital caliper, I could find only .0005" difference between the hole and the shaft! I thought they would be all tuckered out. There is an awful lot of steel in this gun! Very well built. The original order tag is available for it, too. I just mailed off my dues for the PGCA and will be looking forward to the newsletters. Cheers!