Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks opening day. after looking at several other great threads in this forum i wound up on the one with pix of wood... i'm going to have to revamp my assessment on my gun. it's maybe average looking compared to what i have seen as the norm pictured there. when i bought it, it had honest marks from being enjoyed by the previous owner (presumably hunted with). top lever is far to right, but gun has been more than moderately used. my wood is plain with little dark streakings. stock finish is intact. i'll work on getting thru attaching pix as i can. as for my stable of shooters she is is still my best one, and i still love her dearly. it just doesn't come close to the rest of the bevy of beauties i saw on that particular thread. thanks matt k
matt koepnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #32
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt koepnick View Post
she is is still my best one, and i still love her dearly. it just doesn't come close to the rest of the bevy of beauties i saw on that particular thread. thanks matt k
I disagree, it’s the best one b/c you’re enjoying it and you’ve made it yours.

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Now, about that 16ga...keep your eyes peeled because one will show up for you at some point, but be ready. They’re the best of the bunch if you ask me.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post:
Unread 03-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #33
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

I grew up shooting a circa 1900 20 ga on a 28 frame - with a 2 inch stock extension, it fit well and is still the fastest shotgun ever for me.

My wife gave me a Repro 12 for Christmas and the comb was too high, so I took it to a Mississippi gun shop and had it bent to suit. They used hot oil and a jig. Then they refinished the area finish to match the rest of stock. This fixed the problem for good. And it fits me like a 12 ga glove.

I later bought a new Repro 20 and it fit from the get go: still does. ?

PS I am taking it to Hidden Lakes preserve tomorrow to shoot birds with some buddies.
Visit Charles Shelton's homepage!
Unread 03-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #34
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

Matt, you have a fairly rare Repro as it's a 12 ga with double triggers, a BTFA and a long length of pull, not a real common combination. I would prefer your stock over some of the other repros as quite a few of the guns with lots of figure didn't have the proper grain going threw the wrist and would break at that point. You've got yourself a keeper!
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #35
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks opening day.it was my thoughts as well. Don't know enough about parkers yet, nice to have someone else's positive input.
Unread 03-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hi folks. I was able to import 3 pix today to my album here in the forum.got stuck there. I can open up in the album.. can't get them into this reply..sorry for no pix yet. Matt k
Unread 03-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #37
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

To learn how to upload pictures here, see the two video's at the bottom of the FAQ page (link found on the left side of the parker guns.org main page).
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Pic
Unread 03-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #38
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pic

Best I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_155759.jpg (509.2 KB, 8 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to matt koepnick For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #39
matt koepnick
PGCA Member

Member Info

my thanks to all who helped me muddle thru the photo process. matt k .
still working on a 16 ..
Unread 06-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just sort of ran into this thread. Regarding bending Repros (or any other guns), Black or Claro Walnut doesn't normally bend well at all. Quartersawn wood bends best if one is looking at lowering the DAH/DAC. I was at the NE SXS and watched Dan Rossiter bend two stocks from guns that were given to him during the show. He took the guns home and bent the stocks and returned them to the owners the next morning. He has a rather nice set up at the shop that involves, various jigs and heat lamps. He doesn't even attempt the bend until the temp hits specific number at the wrist and then literally he bends the stock to the required position by hand and then clamps it in the various jigs at the required position/dimension the customer needs and lets it cool overnight to set the bend.

Above said, there are occasions where the heat is applied and the perfect temp is achieved and the stock just won't move. Its a rather imperfect science.

PS. I have seen him bend several stocks over the years. English Gripped stocks made with the various European type walnut can sometimes bend like a noodle. There can be a bit of spring back at times. If folks want a stock bend during the Vintagers event in Sept, swing by and talk to Dan at his booth. He can pretty much take one look at the stock and tell you if he thinks it can be bent. The good thing is no shipping and he will hand the finished gun back to you the following morning.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post: